Event Services Manager
Full-Time Event Services Manager
Our employees are the most valuable assets we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and the organization’s achievement as well.
At ArtsQuest a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace is one where all employees feel valued and respected whatever their age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, and/or veteran status. We embrace and encourage our employees’ characteristics that make them unique, because we value and appreciate diverse life experiences.
Reports To: Director of Safety and Event Services
Direct Reports: Part-Time Event Services Supervisors, Safety Staff, Part-Time Seasonal Event Staff
The Event Services Manager is responsible for the coordination of all activities of the Safety and Event staff and provides the necessary support for the entire ArtsQuest Center team. This position coordinates the effective administration and operation of the Safety and Event Services Department, the facility, and its events, delivering a high-quality customer service experience for all ArtsQuest constituents. The Event Services Manager is responsible for all phases of staff management including but not limited to hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, and payroll. In addition to the administrative responsibilities the Event Services manager provides operational support with event set ups and tear downs, and event management support during events.
- Supervise and direct Safety and Event staff in the daily operations of the department.
- Collaborate with the Director on the interviewing, selection, and training of all Event Staff. Assist with the general maintenance of order with the staff including policy enforcement, staff reviews, and continued training.
- Coordinates and prepares schedules with the Director of Safety and Event Services for Safety and Event Staff based on business needs; works collaboratively with other teams to ensure adequate coverage for the building, events, and activities; establish and maintain positive working relationships interdepartmentally, with coworkers and supervisors.
- Manage payroll processing on a bi-weekly deadline for all Event Services Department part-time employees; work collaboratively with the Finance Department and Director of Event Services to ensure accurate accounting of all employee payroll hours.
Event Management and Operations:
- Assume “Manager on Duty” roll as assigned on weekly work schedule. The “Manager on Duty” is responsible for the overall management of the Event Staff and facility as it pertains to safety and Guest Services, and in some cases acts as the overall Event Manager. The Manager on Duty works collaboratively with department leaders and the Event Staff Supervisors to manage events and staff and resolve issues.
- Manage the set up and breakdown of Event Services Department equipment including but not limited to crowd control barriers and traffic control signs and barriers.
- Perform routine walk-through safety and cleanliness inspections of the facility, parking areas and event locations, addressing any concerns immediately as required.
- Assist with the management of the parking lots and traffic control on the ArtsQuest campus.
- Manage the in-house Valet operation when necessary, including the scheduling and supervision of staff, valet equipment set up, and valet captain duties including cash handling and closing reconciliation.
- Consistently promotes a positive, professional image of ArtsQuest; always provide excellent customer service.
- Act as a sounding board for guests' concerns; troubleshoot and solve problems that arise; defuse and remain calm under stressful situations; handle guest requests and concerns promptly and with courtesy.
- Distribute facility information, schedules, and updates either electronically, in print or verbally when needed; maintain efficient and effective flow of information with guests and all internal departments; answer telephones, and relay messages, as necessary.
- Provide ADA services and information to guests with disabilities.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including, but not limited to, computer, fax machine, multi-line telephone system, voice mail system, internet, and stereo system; perform routine preventative maintenance on all office equipment; routine inspection of AED to ensure proper operation when needed.
- Handle additional duties as needed by guests or management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Prior experience in event management or operations within a concert venue/facility or other performing arts venue strongly preferred.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in related field preferred and/or combination of 2-4 years industry experience in a multi-purpose venue setting involving Safety and Event Services or Customer Service.
- Must possess a positive and upbeat personality with a desire to deliver outstanding customer service to our guests; friendly and personable; self-motivated, energetic, organized, and flexible.
- Ability to multi-task, detail-oriented, and able to problem solve to effectively deal with internal and external customers; organized, accurate and cooperative; an excellent manager of time and priorities; must be able to process information quickly and stay organized.
- A team player; must work well with others; strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and empathy; ability to work with guests, clients, and other team members to exceed customer expectations.
- Required to have a thorough knowledge and understanding of building policies, procedures, and event requirements.
- Ability to work full time hours to include nights, weekends and holidays as needed between the hours of 6:00 AM and 1:00 AM.
- First Aid, Adult/Child CPR, and AED certifications, or ability to obtain within first 3 months of employment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook; Experience with payroll processing systems a plus.
- Ability to follow and communicate clear and concise instructions and work at a very quick pace, think on feet, particularly during events and other functions
- Read, write, speak, and understand the English language at a level adequate to perform the job; bi-lingual in Spanish or Chinese a plus.
- Must be able and willing to do what it takes to get the job done!
- Valid driver’s license and a reliable personal vehicle to enable travel between all our buildings and facilities as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate, either verbally and/or in writing. Able to work indoors and outdoors as needed. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to kneel, stoop, bend, lift, push, pull, pinch, grip, reach overhead, reach away from body, and repetitive motion, talking, seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling (identifying objects by touch), depth perception and color vision. Ability to stand, walk, and be on your feet for extended periods of time. Ability to lift items up to 10 to 25 pounds frequently and 25 to 50 pounds occasionally, with or without reasonable accommodation or assistance. The employee will also need to occasionally perform administrative tasks and sit at a desk.
Employee is frequently required to travel between our facilities, all within 1 mile of one another using reliable transportation. Employee may be frequently required to travel offsite for business meetings as needed.
Note: This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job.
ArtsQuest has a culture of CARES; Creativity, Adaptability, Risk Taking, Evaluation and Sustainability; In order to be successful at ArtsQuest you must be willing and able to take ownership, and make significant contributions to the success of the organization:
- We value a collaborative work style as well as the ability to work cross-functionally.
- We not only work in an office environment in close vicinity with other staff members, across multiple buildings, we also work outdoors in all types of weather during festivals and events.
- This position requires working weekends, evenings, and often long hours in order to support our events.
Salary and Benefits:
A salary range has been established and will be discussed with qualified candidates. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, term life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b)-retirement savings plan. We offer a generous paid time off policy as well as discounts on select visual arts and education programs, concerts, comedy and cinema, festivals, and events.
FLSA Status: Exempt
ArtsQuest is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.