Within the framework of the objectives and policies established by the administrative team, plans, coordinates and directs patient care within the Surgical Services Department. Participates as a member of the hospital’s management team in planning, policy formulation and decision making with particular reference to the role, functions and operations of Surgical Services. Provides direction and leadership to respective staff members. Consults with staff, physicians and Nurse Executive on nursing issues and interpretation of hospital policies to ensure patient needs are met. Maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in hospital-wide performance improvement activities. Formulates the departmental budget.
WORK HOURS: 40 hours/week; sometimes more; sometimes less, or as required to provide departmental services as needed.
JOB RELATIONSHIP - WORKERS SUPERVISED: Operating Room, PACU, Central Sterile (decontamination), Ambulatory Care and Infusion Center Staff (RNs, LPNs, Secretaries, Clinical Coordinator, Supervisor, Nursing Assistants, Surgical Technicians, Central Sterile Technicians)
SUPERVISED BY: Chief Nursing Officer
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. BSN preferred.
· Current Registered Nurse licensure in the State of Louisiana
· Current BCLS certification
· AORN certification preferred
Training and Experience:
· At least two (2) years of nursing management experience preferred
· Two (2) years of Surgical Services experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Knowledge of JCAHO standards and survey process
· Ability to clearly formulate and articulate concepts and ideas within small or large groups
· Conflict resolution, critical analysis, stress management, and leadership skills needed
· Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Knowledge of human resource and financial management