Casual Janitor - Social Housing
TITLE: Janitor (Housing)
DEPARTMENT: First United Church Social Housing Society
REPORTS TO: Building Operations Coordinator
DATE: October 2020
A neighborhood where every person’s worth is celebrated and all people thrive.
First United Church Social Housing Society creates community founded on justice, love and kindness by providing housing for people in the DTES experiencing poverty and marginalization.
Each job within the First United Church should in some way promote our accomplishment of this vision and mission.
This position’s objective is to keep all
First United Church areas clean and tidy including the offices, washrooms of
the Housing Society, outside stairs, driveway and sidewalk.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming
· Gather and empty trash
· Service, clean and supply restrooms
· Service, clean and supply kitchen
· Office cleaning
· Laundry room clean and supply, notify when repair is needed
· Clean windows inside and outside (where accessible), glass, and mirrors using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges and squeegees
· Dust furniture, walls, ceilings and equipment
· Fix toilets that are running or plugged
· Clean ventilation system intake and output grills
· Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications and WHMIS requirements
· Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
· Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors
· Clean and restore building interiors damaged by vandalism including painting as required
· Monitor building security and safety by locking doors, garbage bins, etc as required and alerting Shelter staff when assistance is needed
· Move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies either manually or by using vehicles
· Notify management concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems
· Remove snow from sidewalks, driveways and outside the loading dock using snow shovels and spread snow melting chemicals
· Complete requisitions for supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties and submit to the Property Manager
· Perform preventative maintenance inside and outside the building upon request of the Property Manager
· Set up, arrange and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders and scaffolding to prepare rooms for events such as meeting, dinners, etc.
· Maintain overall building appearance including watering plants, changing light bulbs, ensuring signage is free from graffiti, etc.
· Ensure laundry is completed daily
· Disinfect high touch surfaces several times a day
· Gardening work including mowing the lawn or weeding
· Other duties, as required.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
The incumbent works fairly independently. If clarification is required, it is expected that the incumbent will request further direction from the Building Operations Coordinator.
· Regular communication is maintained with all levels of staff and management.
· Communication is also maintained with management and co-workers as work is assigned and completed, and information exchanged on an ongoing basis.
· This position is not open to current residents of First United Housing
· Ability to maintain a calm, welcoming, empathetic and professional demeanor with vulnerable and/or marginalized individuals
· Ability to avoid engaging in incidents with staff, Community Members and volunteers
· Good physical condition with ability to lift up to 25 kilograms
· Ability to read and understand chemical labels
· A driver’s license that is valid for the past ten (10) years is a plus
· Good command of written and verbal English
· Janitorial training an asset, WHIMIS
Experience in a non-profit
related environment, e.g. shelter, group home, recovery house, low-income
We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position