JOB TITLE: Seasonal Worker
LOCATION: Cemetery Department
POSITION GRADE/LEVEL: Personnel Plan, Schedule R
WORK SCHEDULE: May - August, Hours are variable, typically 6:30am-3:30pm
REPORTS TO: Cemetery Superintendent and Foreman
PAY RANGE: Starts at $12.75 per hour (dependent upon qualifications)
1. Nature of Work: Performs skilled work within the Department of Public Works as determined and assigned by a Manager, Department Head or designee in the Public Works Department.
2. Supervision Received: Works under the supervision of an employee of a higher grade who assigns work, reviews performance for skill and efficiency, and assists in cases of difficulty.
3. Supervisory Responsibility: No supervisory duties.
4. Confidentiality: Employee has regular access to confidential information of the department. Confidentiality must be maintained with regard to this information in accordance with Department Policy and the Public Records Act.
5. Accountability: Consequences, errors, missed deadlines or poor judgment may include adverse public relations, monetary loss, legal repercussions, labor/material costs, personal injury, jeopardize programs, and danger to public health/safety.
6. Judgment: Guidelines may be given verbally, or through administrative or organizational policies, or directives. Employee is expected to weigh efficiency and relative priorities in performing tasks.
7. Complexity: The work consists of the practical application of a variety of concepts, practices, and specialized techniques.
8. Nature and Purpose of Public Contact: Employee interacts frequently with Town employees and the public. Excellent customer service skills are required involving courtesy, tact, and diplomacy.
9. Essential Functions: The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position.
1. Uses knowledge and skill in the operation of trucks, equipment, and automobiles used in various divisional work assignments.
2. Performs tasks related to the care and maintenance of Town owned lands.
3. Performs routine tasks in connection with care, upkeep, repair, marking and beautification of Town Facilities, conservation land, highways, roads and recreational areas.
4. Uses and operates landscaping equipment and power tools to cut grass, weeds and brush.
5. Cross trains with other Department employees.
6. Is available for overtime and call backs in the event of emergencies.
10. Recommended Minimum Qualification
Education and Experience: Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods under varying climatic conditions, three (3) years of related work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential function of the position.
Special Requirements: Valid Driver’s License, at least 18 years old or older
11. Knowledge, Abilities and Skill:
1. Ability to understand and apply verbal and written instructions.
2. Knowledge of the operation of necessary equipment and tools used in the performance of assigned work.
3. Ability to deal effectively, tactfully and diplomatically with fellow employees, supervisors, and the general public.
12. Work Environment: The nature of duties may involve continuous presence of unpleasant or irritating elements, such as noise, odors, chemical fumes, dust, smoke, heat, cold, oil, dirt, or grease. Work is performed indoors and outdoors during inclement weather
13. Occupational Risks: Duties regularly present potential risks of injuries from improper exposure that could result in loss of time from work. Examples of injuries, muscular strains, falls from heights in excess of three (3) feet, and illness from exposure to communicable diseases. Special safety precautions, training, or protective clothing such as chaps, gloves, glasses, hats, helmets or boots will be required/provided.
14. Physical and Mental Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Physical Demands: Work requires regular physical strength and effort daily, such as, lifting heavy objects up to 50 lbs. (or more in cases of emergency and/or with assistance), carrying objects and stacking them. In addition, pulling, pushing, standing, or walking for the full workday may be involved.
15. Motor Skills: Duties involve close hand and eye coordination and physical dexterity. Manipulation and motor control may require extreme accuracy.
16. Visual Demands: Visual demands include reading documents for general understanding, routinely reviewing non-written materials such as machinery and the need for color vision.
Posting will be accepting applications beginning May 21, 2020 and will remain open until filled.