The National World War II Museum seeks a mechanically-skilled, historically-minded, and collaborative professional to serve as Restoration Specialist within the Collections & Exhibits division. The Restoration Specialist will report to and assist the Curator & Restoration Manager in the execution of restoration projects with an emphasis on inspecting and repairing historic WWII vehicles, machinery, and other macro-artifacts in the Museum’s collection. The Restoration Specialist will also work closely with the Senior Registrar & Director of Collection Management on coordinating and executing the movement of historic vehicles such as trucks, Jeeps, and tanks, to and from exhibit locations and festivals, performing repairs as necessary for their safe movement.
- Assist with the restoration of macro-artifacts, especially with regard to mechanical components.
- Perform repairs and oversee maintenance of functioning WWII-era vehicles in the Museum’s collection.
- Supervise volunteers engaged in the restoration of artifacts.
- Assisted in moving artifacts as directed.
- Start vehicles in storage on a regular basis to insure their continued operation.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations.
- Minimum High School Diploma/GED or comparable work history. Some college preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience restoring and/or repairing historic vehicles.
- Proficiency and experience in one or more of the following areas preferred; welding, aluminum fabrication including riveting, and/or automotive restoration.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Must be able to operate, or learn to operate, equipment necessary to perform the job functions as outlined.
- Must be able to operate a forklift
- Knowledge of rigging preferred
The National WWII Museum offers a competitive wage and benefits package which includes the following:
- Competitive wages
- Medical insurance – 2 plan options; Museum pays 75% of premium
- Dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- 401(k) – Museum matches 50% of employee contribution up to 6%; employer contribution fully vested after 3 years of employment
- Life insurance and AD&D - $15,000 policy employer paid; additional life and AD&D available
- Long term disability
- Paid vacation and sick leave, 10 paid holidays per year
- Free parking
- Tuition assistance and professional development
- Employee assistance program
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.