FOOD & BEVERAGE DIRECTOR
Food & Beverage Director – The Palm Springs Surf Club
- Palm Springs, CA, USA
- Job category: Food & Beverage
- Job Location: 1500 S Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs, CA 92264
- Season: Year Round
- Job Classification: Full-Time
- Salary + Benefits: $80k-$110k + employer contributions to insurance premiums
PSSC is a broadly appealing active lifestyle concept incorporating surfing, entertainment, hospitality, dining, fitness, social events, and health & wellness. Our targeted site strategy is focused on warm weather and densely populated urban markets with a mix of strong local and visitor demographics. PSSC features proven wave technologies by Surf Loch Wave Systems. Our scalable destination concept easily adapted to fit local market character to create a true community focal point and gathering place.
You don’t just work at PSSC. You become one of the best reasons our clients come back again and again. It’s our aim to provide a warm and inviting community atmosphere for our guests and corporate clients. We believe every employee should play a key role in helping to enrich the client and guest experience during their event. This takes a dedication to real, live hospitality and an appreciation for innovative leadership. We are a team, and we act like it. We also believe, as PSSC management, in a commitment to providing a secure and an enjoyable work environment for every employee — one that promotes honesty, mutual respect, personal growth and career advancement for all. Employees also receive access to employee dedicated surf sessions.
The Food & Beverage Director at The Palm Springs Surf Club is responsible for PSSC’s food and beverage (F&B) experiences and the F&B offerings at all locations including (but not necessarily limited to) our Full-Service Restaurant, Quick Service Restaurant, Group Sales F&B, Special Event F&B, and three bars. Directly supervises the Executive Chef, Events/Catering Manager, F&B Beverage Manager, and Bar Manager. Plans, implements, and monitors departmental budgets. Hires, trains, and supervises subordinates and applies the highest level of hospitality principles to assure that the wants and needs of clients and guests are consistently exceeded.
The position requires excellent communication skills - both written and verbal, along with the ability to utilize contemporary distribution channel management and analytics to support the F&B experience at PSSC.
This is a full-time position required to work at the property. This position requires non-traditional working hours which includes working nights and weekends and holidays.
Duties and Expectations:
- Embodies and exemplifies the elite level of PSSC hospitality and service.
- Develops experiences to ‘wow’ and keep guests & clients engaged.
- Creates effective communication through all department levels and throughout park.
- Develops an operating budget for each of the department’s revenue outlets; monitors and takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that budgeted sales and cost goals are attained.
- Develops a capital budget for all necessary food and beverage equipment and recommends facility needs.
- Ensures that adequate tender procedures are followed, and that documentation is reported in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible for proper charge procedures, guest check analysis, service charge reports, ticket controls and daily sales reports and analysis.
- Manages and develops the department’s long-range staffing needs.
- Assists in recruitment, training, supervision, and termination of F & B staff.
- Conducts ongoing product and service quality checks to ensure continuity and an exceptional product and service.
- Helps plan and approves the organizational chart, staffing and scheduling plans.
- Assures that effective orientation and training for new staff and professional development activities for experienced staff are planned and implemented.
- Monitors employee punch records to minimize overtime and maintain labor costs.
- Assures that all standard operating procedures for revenue and cost control are in place and consistently followed.
- Assures that all applicable policies and procedures are followed.
- Helps plan and approves internal marketing and promotions for the outlets.
- Approves menu items, pricing, and print designs for all outlets, special events and banquet events.
- Establishes quantity and quality output standards for personnel in all positions within the department.
- Ensures all legal requirements are consistently followed, including wage/ hour and federal, state, or local laws for food safety and the sale/consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Ensure all energy management, preventive maintenance and other standards are consistently met.
- Ensures that all new employees receive the appropriate safety instructions and training; establishes and enforces all safety policies and procedures including OSHA regulations and ensures that appropriate proof of training is documented and delivered to HR for the employees’ personnel files.
- Submits food and beverage personnel issues to HR.
- Research new products and evaluates their cost and profit benefits.
- Monitors purchasing and receiving procedures to ensure proper quantity, quality, and price for all purchases.
- Ensures POS/PSSC software is up to date for proper reporting.
- Reviews new techniques for food preparation and presentation to maximize client and guest satisfaction and minimize food costs.
- Consults daily with the Executive Chef, Group Sales Director, Purchasing Manager, and other club administrators to help assure the highest level of member satisfaction at minimum cost.
- Greets clients & guests and oversees actual service on a routine, random basis.
- Helps develop wine, beer, and spirit lists and alcohol sales promotion programs.
- Establishes, updates, and maintains all written standards and procedures for the department as needed.
- Addresses client and guest complaints and advises the GM and management about appropriate corrective actions taken.
- Monitors appearance, upkeep and cleanliness of all food and beverage equipment and facilities.
- Monitors employee dress codes according to policies and procedures.
- Approves all product invoices before submitting to the Accounting Department.
- Monitors or manages physical inventory verification and provides updated information to the Accounting Department.
- Responsible for the proper accounting and reconciliation of the point-of-sale and related F&B revenues.
- Maintains records of special events, house counts, food covers and daily volume.
- Ensures that an accurate reservation system is in place.
- Audits and approves weekly payroll.
- Responsible for long-range planning for the department in concert with the PSSC’s planning process.
- Establishes and maintains professional business relations with vendors.
- Works with the PSSC’s Finance Controller and Chief Financial Officer to identify and develop operating reports and for ongoing control of the department.
- Recommends operating hours for all food and beverage outlets.
- Serves as manager-on-duty on a scheduled basis.
- Ensure timely correspondence with all catering requests including inquiry, follow-up, contracts, billing, and thank-you letters.
- Complete periodic china, glass, and silverware inventories.
- Implement and monitor sanitation and cleaning schedules.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform required role during emergency situations.
- Completes other appropriate assignments from the executive team.
Qualifications, Licenses, and Special Requirements:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience (at a 4/5-star resort or similar property preferred). Must possess a proven track record of managing several unique and successful venues, each with their own identity.
- Food safety certification or ability to obtain.
- Alcoholic beverage certification or ability to obtain.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English at an expert level.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience as a sommelier preferred. At minimum, the ability to create, nurture, and refine a successful and innovative wine, liquor, and beverage program.
- Adept with Office 365, park management software, POS systems, inventory tracking and management software, excellent computer skills.
- Exceptional leadership skills - Self-motivated, strategic thinker, positive attitude
- Adaptable to change – can solve problems through an open-minded and all-inclusive approach
- Comfortable in a fast-paced or high-pressure environment
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Required to stand for long periods and walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, stretch and twist or reach.
- Push, pull or lift up to 50 pounds.
- Continuous repetitive motions.
- Work in cold, dry, hot, humid, and noisy environments.
This position requires former Food & Beverage Director experience at a high-level private club, resort, or hotel. Other experience is welcome, provided you can prove success at overseeing and cultivating multiple dining outlets.
PSSC recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financial security of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company Paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- PSSC Employee Perks and Discounts
Director of Food and Beverage is a strategic business leader who is responsible for managing the daily operations of PSSC. They will maintain a high standard of excellence while promoting a People First Culture.
- Develops aggressive food & beverage sales plan, private event sales plan, marketing, and net revenue plans.
- Manages the food & beverage department while forecasting requirements, preparing annual budgets, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, initiating corrective action plans.
- Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy environment by establishing, following, and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures, while complying with legal regulations.
- Works with the management to develop and implement Group Sales and Special Event activities.
- Trains and monitors employees while evaluating their performance and productivity.
- Recruits, selects, and develops talent while maintaining a positive and inclusive work environment.
PSSC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer & participates in E-Verify.
This job post is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operation of PSSC.