Job Title: Emergency Dispatcher
Job Summary: Emergency Dispatchers are responsible for answering calls from various sources
requesting ambulances for both emergency and non-emergency uses. Dispatches ambulances to both
emergency and non-emergency calls.
1. Current State of Michigan Emergency Medical Technician Basic Licensure. (EMT-S or EMT-P
2. Previous dispatching experience
3. Obtain Emergency Medical Dispatcher certification within 2 years of date of hire.
1. Behavior meeting the standard of a Medstar employee, "a competent, well motivated employee who
promotes positive public relations and conducts himself/herself in a friendly caring and
2. Working as a "team member" in the dispatch center.
3. Adheres to radio communications policies as defined by Medstar management.
4. Able to work any day or night shift.
5. Answers the telephone calls from various local public safety officials and residents that are
requesting ambulances for medical emergencies.
6. Answers the telephone calls from various health care facilities (i.e. hospitals, clinics, and
nursing homes) requesting ambulance transportation services. Normal, these calls are of a
non-emergency nature, but occasionally they are emergency or "STAT" requests.
7. Works cooperatively with medical/nursing staff at patient care facilities to optimize patient
8. Dispatches emergency and non-emergency calls to ambulances using the VHF radio system.
Communicates pertinent call information to the responding ambulance, such as the nature of the call
as well as other responding agencies. As required y protocols. Notifies any other responding
9. When needed, performs the role of the non-emergency dispatcher.
10. Utilizes the vehicle locator system "tracker" to send the closest ambulance available to
emergency calls. Routinely monitors the travel routes and location of ambulances to ensure
compliance with the "status" plan.
11. Recognizes the need for additional staffing and vehicles and promptly notifies supervisor.
Follows all status plans to ensure time performance standards.
12. Determines that all ambulance shifts are staffed with appropriate qualified personnel. When a
vacancy occurs, a call-in list will be initiated to fill all open shifts.
13. Enters all dispatch (D-card) information daily into the computer billing system.
14. Completes all run reports of a statistical nature in an accurate and timely manner.
15. Completes delayed response time reports and run turnover reports on a daily basis.
16. Maintains a good working knowledge of roads, bridges, building, etc., within Medstar geographic
17. Ensures communication system (including the "tracker"), is operational. Reports any problems to
18. Other duties as assigned.
Medstar Ambulance Michigan is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled