If you are an enthusiastic Operations Supervisor looking to join a dynamic and innovative company on the leading edge of the ag-tech revolution, we invite you to apply here!
We believe in technology to feed a changing world. CubicFarms (TSXV: CUB) is an ag-tech company providing automated growing systems for fresh produce and nutritious livestock feed. CubicFarms offers turnkey, commercial scale, hydroponic, automated controlled-environment growing systems that can grow predictably and sustainably for 12 months of the year virtually anywhere on earth. The company has sold and installed systems in Canada and internationally, and continues to grow a global pipeline of prospective customers. Visit us at www.cubicfarms.com.
THE ROLE: OPERATIONS MANAGER
We are looking for a unique candidate who has both the flexibility and entrepreneurial attitude to be a hands on role with no immediate direct reports. However, will control every aspect of fulfillment and logistics across our Edmonton Operations. The correct candidate will have a combination of both hands on experience in a warehouse environment and the analytical aptitude to lead complex projects and strategy. Experience with cross border logistics and customs knowledge is also an asset.
- You’re the type of person who can’t walk out the door with anything left undone. You like all of the boxes ticked off and make schedules and lists when no one cares but you. It’s in your DNA.
- You are a self-motivated, passionate, experienced individual who is looking for an opportunity to work with an emerging organization with a great deal of room for advancement.
- You are an entrepreneurial minded, hands on person who leads by example and thrives on solving challenging problems.
- You have a green thumb and a jack of all trades. You are just as comfortable using a spreadsheet as you are using a wrench.
- You are motivated by thought of working in the new and upcoming Ag-Tech industry.
- You are reliable, proactive, and willing to take the lead on tasks that need to be accomplished.
- You have the ability to structure yourself in an unstructured environment and are motivated to learn new skills.
- You are willing to work during various hours throughout the day and lend a hand where required to get the job done.
- Above all you like to have fun while doing all of the above.
WHAT WILL YOU DO:
- Responsible for the daily oversight of the facilities operational programs and departments forecasting and communicating updates and plans to Owner/operator and Onboarding Manager.
- Working with and leading the facility management team to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Operations team.
- Work weekends as overtime as necessary
- Leading daily meetings with the staff and articulating departmental priorities on a daily/weekly basis; ensuring work plans are designed and executed in conjunction with priorities
- Developing and implementing Operations plans following standard operating procedures (SOP) in collaboration with the Quality Assurance team and Lead Operations teams.
- Management of the Operations team; training and supervision to build out the department.
- Oversee the entire operations and distribution process from seed to distribution.
- Knowledge and compliance with GAP.
- Identify and report to Lead Produce if potential bottlenecks or hazards in operations and forecasting begin to arise.
- Communicate and coordinate activities and schedules to all required staff and management.
- Enforce and maintain all documentation in accordance to standard operating procedures (SOP) and good Operations/growing practices (GPP and GGP)
- Ensure regulatory requirements are met for premises and equipment used for cultivation, harvest, preparation, packaging, storage, are maintained in clean and sanitary conditions.
- Assist Global G.A.P auditors with inventory, sales and compliance audits
- Duties may include opening and closing the facility including responding to facility alarms.
- Ensure high quality day-to-day operations of the farming facility that meets and exceeds Company standards
- Leader of a culture of continuous improvement with the use of KPIs, policies, procedures, and protocols to achieve organizational goals
- Directs and coordinates worker activities, such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting, grading, payroll, and recordkeeping.
- Determines procedural changes in drying, grading, storage, and shipment for greater efficiency and accuracy.
- Train new employees and contractors on protocol and site function, work processes
- Conduct employee performance reviews every 6-months
- Complete daily site checks for machines, growing, forklift usage, packaging, and palletizing products.
- Inspects equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Hires, discharges, transfers, and promotes workers, enforces safety regulations, and interprets policies.
- Responsible for monitoring that crop work is being completed in set time frames and done properly
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in a supervisory and production role is required.
- Experience working in agriculture, indoor vertical farming environments or in a greenhouse is an asset.
- Certificate/Diploma/Associates or Bachelors Degree in any field of Horticulture/Agriculture or any other related field is an asset.
- Strong organizational skills having managed multiple employees and teams.
- Must have accountability, proactive behavior, strong attention to detail. Follow Organizations policies and contribute towards the goal of achieving Operations targets within set timelines
- Experience with Hazard Awareness, Critical Control Points (HACCP) and Global GAP.
- Analytical process review and able to prepare documents
- Must have good judgement and discretion, sensitivity to confidential matters is required.
- Good communication skills and ability to think strategically and problem solve
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings.
- Must have a Driver’s License
- Must be in good general health as necessary to perform manual labor tasks required for the proper management of the facility.
- Strong management, delegation, planning and leadership skills.
- Effectiveness in safety and productivity.
- Knowledge of local, provincial, and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances, and legislation.
- Commitment to working in a team environment, with established team building abilities.
- Strong communication, leadership, integration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to participate in continuous improvement processes.
Interested applicants may apply to the position by submitting their applications on our Careers page on the CubicFarms Website.
CubicFarms is an equal opportunity employer is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage applications from all qualified and enthusiastic candidates. CubicFarms is a growing organization in an emerging industry that will provide the right candidate with significant potential for advancement in the Ag-Tech space.