Niagara Falls, Ontario
Emterra Group is a leader in
providing integrated recycling resource management and waste disposal solutions
to the industrial, commercial, and institutional (ICI) sectors and
municipalities throughout Canada. Our view of waste management means maximizing
recycling and waste diversion. Whether you see it as garbage, waste, trash, rubbish,
or junk, we see waste another way – as a resource to be collected and recycled
into new, usable products. From tire recycling to liquid waste – we turn waste
The Plant Supervisor’s primary responsibilities include the daily management and coordination of plant operations including production, logistics and maintenance while ensuring compliance with all labour, safety, environmental and corporate policies, and regulations. This position plays an integral part in plant operations, special projects, and has profit and loss (P&L) responsibility for developing and achieving budgetary and production targets. This hands-on role with approximately 50% of the time spent on the plant floor. The Plant Supervisor is responsible for the direct supervision of full-time employees, most of which are general labourers with some equipment (i.e., skid street, forklift, loader) operators.
What will you do?
· Supervise, coordinate, and schedule the activities of plant staff and key operational personnel in a safe and efficient manner.
· Work to optimize production and processing of incoming recyclable material on a one-shift basis (based on current in-take volumes).
· Maximize daily production (up-time), increase productivity, minimize residuals, audit inbound and outbound materials, and produce commodities of quality levels acceptable to buyers.
· Responsible for internal reports, including daily bale count, facility inspections, pre and post trip reports, daily MRF statistics, audit reports, etc.
· Understand and monitor the general flow of materials through system.
· Proactive in taking measures, offering suggestions and corrective actions to maximize throughput.
· Maintain calendars and logbooks on plant and mobile equipment.
· Work in accordance with and be well versed in local, state, and federal legislated obligations that are required for the facility and their operating licenses, including compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and the Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA) issued by the Ministry of Environment.
· Ensure the health and safety of all workers under direct supervision, which includes but is not limited to:
o making all workers aware of known hazards.
o ensuring all workers are trained on all applicable equipment, processes, and duties.
o ensuring all workers are equipped with proper Personal Protective (PPE) and that it is being used properly, regularly inspected, and maintained.
o ensuring all other provincial and company related safety policies and procedures as prescribed.
· Understand and work in accordance with all appropriate legislative obligations and requirements.
· Monitor daily equipment pre/post trip reports, proactively minimizing equipment downtime.
What will you bring?
· Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a plant supervisory or management role.
· Excellent interpersonal, teambuilding and oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization in a multi-cultural environment.
· Strong understanding of safety responsibilities in the workplace.
· Demonstrated experience in production planning, logistics and equipment maintenance.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain staffing levels at an appropriate level to minimize costs.
· Ability to use mobile equipment and the ability to train and evaluate operators on mobile equipment.
· Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
· Strong financial, mathematical, and analytical skills.
· Solid computer skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office, particularly Excel.
· Experience in a recycling, material recovery or material handling facility is an asset.
· Experience with PLC programming/controls is an asset.
· Must hold and maintain a valid drivers’ license.
· Ability and willingness to work shift work (day and evening), weekends, and holidays.
· Plant environment.
· Exposure to extreme weather conditions.
· Exposure to dust, noise, heat, cold and fumes found in a shop environment.
· Exposure to residential and commercial waste and recycling.
· Exposure to equipment traffic.
Reasons to Apply, Stay and Grow with Emterra Group
- Opportunity to be part of one of Canada’s Greenest Employers!
- Competitive wages and annual wage increases!
- Comprehensive health benefits (drug, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance)!
- Employee Assistance Program, paid for by the Company!
- Tuition reimbursement program and professional development support!
- Be part of an entrepreneurial organization that wants to continue to learn and grow!
- Ability to have impact and make change!
Are you ready to jumpstart your career by joining one of Canada’s Greenest Employers and become part of the environmental solution? If so, apply now! We appreciate all applicants who apply however only those who are qualified, will be contacted.
Emterra Group is committed to maintaining an equitable, fair, and diverse environment. Any applicants who have a disability or require reasonable accommodation may speak directly with our Human Resources Department. Reasonable accommodations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position