The concrete finisher ensures the concrete on the job sites is completed according to the project guidelines. The position may operate a variety of hand, power tools, and equipment. Concrete Finishers set curbs, forms, manhole covers, sewer boxes, and other concrete forms on heavy construction and highway projects. Assists in supervising laborers to ensure safety and job completion in done in a timely manner.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Check the forms that are to hold concrete to ensure proper construction, desired pitch, depth and alignment.
2. Spread, level, and smooth concrete, using rake, shovel, hand or power trowel, hand or power screed, and float.
3. Mold expansion joints and edges, using edging tools, jointers, and straightedge.
4. Monitor how the wind, heat, or cold affect the curing of the concrete throughout the entire process.
5. Signal truck driver to position to facilitate pouring concrete and move chute to direct concrete on forms.
6. Produce rough concrete surface, using broom.
7. Operate power vibrator to compact concrete.
8. Direct the casting of concrete and supervise laborers who use shovels or special tools to spread it.
9. Cut out damaged areas, drill holes for reinforcing rods, and position reinforcing rods to repair concrete, using power saw and drill.
10. Chip, scrape, and grind high spots, ridges, and rough projections to finish concrete, using pneumatic chisels, power grinders, or hand tools.
11. Ensures that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Brings problems to the attentions of the foreman, safety director, or HR manager.
12. Performs other duties as assigned by job site foreman/superintendent.
1. Working knowledge and demonstrate skills regarding: Simple math, communication with team, and time management.
2. Experience with setting and erecting forms using a wide variety of materials and forming systems.
3. Must have knowledge of proper cross slopes and acceptable tolerances of all sidewalks, ADA ramps, curbs, driveways, and other concrete structures.
4. Hand tools, power drills, saws, lasers, and other related tools.
This position assist with supervisory responsibilities on laborers in constructing, setting and spreading concrete. Helping to direct laborers to meet the safety guidelines and direction given by the Foreman.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes and airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibrations, as well as working in proximity of heavy equipment. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The position lifts heavy objects, walks and stands for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee lifts, pushes, pulls or carries objects; uses abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue; and effectively jumps, sprints or throws objects. The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multilimbed coordination. The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs. The employee must have excellent stamina.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are depending on time of year and weather conditions but are generally Monday through Friday: Summer hours 6:30am – 5:00pm, Winter Hours 7:00am – 3:30pm. This position frequently requires long hours and weekend work.
Travel is primarily limited to local: between jobs sites assigned. If any other type of travel is required advanced notice will be given.
Required Education and Experience
General knowledge of safety.
Must complete in house training for Excavation, Rigging and Silica.
Additional Eligibility Qualification
Appropraite attendance. Ability to arrive at the assigned job site. Able to lift 50 lbs unassisted.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
SJ & L General Contractor, LLC is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled