SCP Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager - Job Description
SUMMARY: The Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager is primarily responsible for training, supervising, and working with all cook and culinary staff in order to prepare, cook, and present food according to hotel standard recipes in order to create quality food products. S/He will contribute to the Hotel's success as a team player and Department Head.
The Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager shall strive to provide exceptional service to both internal and external guests at all times. S/he will be responsible for exemplifying the Brand’s Culture.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Communicate with staff and guests with dignity and respect.
• Maintain a teamwork orientation towards co-workers.
• Sustain clear and effective communications.
• Operate with integrity and commitment for continued growth.
• Supervise work of kitchen team and train team members to maximize productivity and minimize waste.
• Assist the sales manager in the management of banquet services both within and outside the hotel/restaurant.
• Assist with menu planning.
• Order and/or approve supplies for the smooth operation of the kitchen..
• Visually inspect, select, and use only the freshest ingredients in the preparation of all menu items.
• Read and employ math skills for the following recipes.
• Ensure proper receiving, storage, and rotation of food products so as to comply with health department regulations.
• Schedule culinary staff so proper coverage is maintained while keeping payroll costs in line.
• Maintain a commitment to customer service and guest satisfaction.
• Accept responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of the guests and employees.
• Emphasize safety awareness.
• Represent the interest of the Hotel and its employees in a fair, impartial, and equitable manner.
• Reinforce the highest standards of quality, service, and overall integrity of guest experience.
• Work to develop and maintain the highest culinary standards.
• Develop strategies and programs to achieve and exceed departmental goals.
• Maintain a focus on defining results.
• Manage time effectively and efficiently.
• Provide creative influence in establishing menu recipes and specials.
• Complete necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
• Anticipate market trends and position restaurant accordingly.
• Build positive relations with team members and supervisors.
• Additional duties not listed and requested by management.
The associate is held accountable for all duties of this job and other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• College degree and/or equivalent degree from recognized culinary institute
• Minimum two years of Sous Chef experience required
• Prior supervisory experience required
• Previous hospitality experience preferred
• Experience in working efficiently in a high volume, production-oriented environment
• Ability to motivate and lead employees
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Ability to upsell pastry products to potential clients and guests
• Ability to carry oneself in a mature, professional and responsible manner at all times
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Demonstrated ability to interact with customers, employees, and third parties that reflect highly on the hotel, the brand, and the Company
• Service-minded and team-oriented
• Strong attention to detail and hospitality knowledge
• Ability to proactively prioritize needs and effectively manage time and resources
• Willingness and ability to promote a positive team member culture and core values
• Fluency in other languages beneficial
• Must be a United States citizen or possess a valid work permit
• Must be able to read, write, and speak English
• Must have exceptional communication skills
• Must be detailed orientated and work well under pressure
• Must be professional in appearance and demeanor
• Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends and holidays
• Must have the ability to deal effectively and interact well with employees
• Ability to effectively express oneself and speak extemporaneously on a variety of subjects with poise and confidence
• Strong creative capabilities, necessary for design of skill-based and awareness-based training programs and instructional materials
• Must have the ability to resolve problems/conflicts in a diplomatic and tactful manner
• Ability to multi-task, manage interruptions, establish work priorities, handle stress, and effectively function in a fast-paced environment
• Possess strong motivational, organizational and verbal communication skills
• Physical capabilities for lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
• Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
• Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, and repetitive hand & arm movements consistent with kitchen work
• Must be able to regularly sit, talk or hear, taste, and smell
• Must be able to work in an environment with loud noises and variable temperatures
• Must be able to work with food preparation and kitchen equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow other instructions and perform other work-related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Soul Community Planet is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled