About The Link: Youth and Family Supports
For more than 90 years, The Link has helped youth and families on a journey to healing, hope and better lives. The organization is dedicated to walking alongside children, youth, and families as an inclusive community, strengthening and empowering a sense of being, pride, and purpose. With over 15 diverse programs, The Link has a community of caring staff that work together to provide support through a 24-hour crisis line, youth resource centres, emergency shelters, mobile crisis teams, specialized foster care, healing homes, job readiness supports, and Skills4Life. With a strong foundation within the community and a focus on connection, unity, and compassion, the organization provides a vital link for youth and families in the province of Manitoba.
About the Opportunity
The Link is hiring! Come grow with Us, walk along side people in our community as we grow strong & resilient together. We are seeking candidates with strong character that share our vision for a brighter future; people of action who can support the resilience and potential in people. We honour and strive to model through our actions the traditional Seven Teachings of the Anishinaabe: Love, Respect, Courage, Honesty, Wisdom, Humility & Truth.
This position similar to an Educational Assistant.
SUMMARY: The COACH is responsible for providing, behavioural management and academic support in the classroom as well as in the community; family support; recreational programming; and other community components of a 24-hour treatment plan. The COACH supports the mandated role of the COACH Program in a team based approach within the Social Service Network. Must be flexible and available to work a varied schedule that may include days, evenings and weekends. You are required to have a valid full driver's license and use of a personal vehicle.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: of the Coach include, but are not limited to:
- Participates as a member of the COACH team in planning and implementing the strength based, goal-oriented plans for the students and families;
- Implements the behavioural and family support components of the treatment plan;
- Establishes a supportive relationship as the primary and consistent adult to whom the student relates in the program;
- Employs a strength-based, trauma informed and culturally proficient approach when working with students and their families;
- Helps to provide a safe learning environment for students;
- Under the direction of the classroom teacher, reinforces the educational and behavioural goals in the classroom and school;
- Co-develops student-centered plans that consider all aspects of the students’ needs and communicates these throughout the COACH team;
- Encourages socially appropriate behavior, and provides opportunities for social skill development and cultural and community networking;
- Assists in the development, planning, and participation of the out-of-school individual, and group activities;
- Supervises all student and group activities, on-and off-site;
- Provides transportation to students and families, as required (i.e., to and from school, community events, appointments, etc.);
- Maintains appropriate boundaries and confidentiality with client(s) and families.
- Provides support to, and consults with families to identify interventions which are clearly related to the strengths and needs of the family;
- Provides support to student and family when student is integrating back into a regular school program or the home school from the COACH program;
- Communicates regularly with the Program Supervisor, team members, and families;
- Employs crisis intervention strategies that include all components of NVCI (and other training) in conjunction with other team members and service providers;
- Completes daily behavior summary reports, documentation, data information and frequency checklists;
- Attends and participates in COACH team meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Adheres to all The Link and Winnipeg School Division policies and procedures.
- Degree or Diploma in Human Services or related field or;
- A combination of education and experience in social services (i.e. Social Work, Community Development, Inner City Studies, Child and Youth Care) may be considered;
- 2 to 3 years of supervised experience working with trauma affected families and youth with children with pervasive behaviour disorders and emotional needs;
- Previous experience with supporting children in their learning;
- Current non-violent crisis intervention certificate;
- Current First-aid/CPR certification preferred or willingness to be trained;
- Criminal records, child abuse registry and prior Winnipeg Child and Family Services contact checks are required;
- Must be available to work evenings & weekends & overtime (as required);
- Willingness to work on a school environment;
- Experience working in a multi-agency (collaborative cross-agency) team is preferred;
- Capable of performing physical duties;
- Demonstrated problem-solving abilities;
- Positive, non-judgmental attitude & acceptance of cultural differences;
- Knowledge of child development and family systems;
- Ability to establish and maintain a caring relationship with parents and children;
- Ability to effectively communicate with parents and children.
SALARY: $16.50-$21.17/hour - Depending on qualifications, per annum. The Link offers benefits, paid sick leave, vacation and a pension.
HOURS OF WORK: 80 hours bi-weekly. This position is required to work a variety of shifts
including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must demonstrate in their resume and cover letter how they meet the requirements of the position.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Ongoing until filled.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (in word or PDF).
The Link is an equal opportunity employer, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The Link is committed to developing and retaining a diverse workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information about our other employment and volunteer opportunities please visit https://thelinkmb.easyapply.co/
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position