VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES - COMMUNITY SAFETY OFFICERS
- 20 Volunteer positions available!
- Are you someone who is passionate about volunteering and connecting with the community? We would love to hear from you!
- Do you have experience working in a client facing, first responder, law enforcement or security role?
- Do you speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Farsi, Arabic or any other languages in addition to your fluent English?
The GVFB provides assistance to approximately 8,500 people monthly across Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and the North Shore. We also provide food support to more than 90 community agencies such as housing agencies, women and children’s shelters, transition homes and after school programs, which in turn provide hot meals and snacks to thousands of people each week, including people who are homeless.
Our mission is providing healthy food to those in need. Our vision is to create healthy communities through fair and effective food systems. Currently, the GVFB receives, purchases and distributes 5M lbs of food each year.
Come and enjoy volunteering in an award winning workplace! We provide a fun and collaborative environment, training and the ability to build your professional skillset while giving back to your community.
The "volunteer" role of Community Safety Officer is responsible for assisting our Distribution team in ensuring a welcoming, healthy and safe environment at our Distribution locations for all clients, volunteers, staff and community partners. The Community Safety Officer will provide a physical security presence, access control to the distribution locations as well as the enforcement of GVFB COVID-19 policies and procedures. This also includes acting as a GVFB ‘brand ambassador’ by providing assistance to those visiting the GVFB to resolve questions or concerns.
- Providing a physical security presence, line management and access control to the Burnaby and Vancouver distribution sites;
- Enforcing GVFB and COVID-19 policies and procedures through an education based approach;
- Patrolling the property and buildings as required, observing and reporting any safety or security risks to the Distribution Manger;
- End of shift briefing with the Distribution Manager to discuss any issues or observations that may have arisen that day;
- Ensuring the area around the Distribution location is free of traffic, direct vehicles and pedestrian traffic to the safest possible route;
- Assisting with emergency responders, law enforcement and other community partners as needed, attending and providing first aid within your level of knowledge.
Personal attributes and core skills
- Ability to work with sensitivity and without discrimination towards people of diverse cultures, races/ ethnicity, socio-economic positions, ages, religions, genders, physical/ mental health challenges/ disabilities and sexual orientations;
- Displaying as engaging, welcoming and helpful approach to dealing with people and situations;
- Effective interpersonal communication skills (written/ oral), including active listening skills;
- Proven ability to problem solve, think on your feet, process good judgment and decision-making capabilities;
- Knowledge of and ability to employ conflict resolution and de-escalation skills as needed; and,
- Remain calm and composed in difficult situations;
Qualifications and experience
- Must be 19 years or older;
- Obtain a clean criminal record check;
- Ability to attend all training and information sessions required ;
- Ability to commit to a minimum of two shifts per week with reliability;
- Verbal and written proficiency in languages beyond English is an asset;
- 2 + years’ experience working in client facing, first responder, law enforcement or security role an asset; and,
- CPR + AED, Naloxone and Narcan certification an asset.
- Exposure to ambient temperatures and noisy conditions;
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment, walking and standing throughout the shift.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
Please submit your RESUME & COVER LETTER in one PDF document.
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon registering as a volunteer.
Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.