This position assists in monitoring aquatic ecosystems and propagating aquatic species.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Aquatic Assistant
- Perform biological sampling of stream fish assemblages, macro-invertebrates and freshwater mussels using standardized sampling methods and procedures
- Operate boats, motors, and electro-shock equipment
- Use GPS units, cross-section, and velocity equipment
- Collect qualitative/quantitative data
- Propagate freshwater mussels, collect water quality parameters, care for fish, perform risk/hazard assessments
- Collect, record, enter, analyze, and report biological and physical data
- Additional duties as assigned
Education and Experience Required
Must have an undergraduate degree in Biology, Fish Management/Aquaculture, or related field; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Additional Information: Must be 18 years of age or older by the first day of employment.
Hours: May- December; up to 40 hours per week (may include weekends on occasion).
Preferred Experience: Knowledge of Aquatic Biology with Ecology coursework.
Special Training or other license, certification, etc.: Must have a valid Drivers License; Knowledge of field safety and sampling techniques for assessing stream biology; Ability to wade in streams at chest level for up to two (2) hours at a time; Ability to operate vehicles off-road and outboard motors within one month of employment; Ability to swim.
Skills in: Work independently; capable of hard physical labor including bending, digging, and kneeling for hours at a time.
Onboarding/Training Requirements: Criminal Background Check
Driver's License Check
National Sex Offender Registry Check
Application: Candidates must complete the application process in its entirety, including the Pre-Screen Questions, to be considered for this position. Resumes may be included, but are not accepted in lieu of the application.
Equal Employment Policy: As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County complies with Federal, State, and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment. The Forest Preserve District makes all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sex (wages), genetics, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, retaliation, or other unlawful considerations.
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County RP089 is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled