Bilingual Senior Bookkeeper
CMEC Council Of Education Ministers Canada Toronto, ON $61690.00 to $74048.00 per year
Current annual salary range: $61,690–$74,048
Work arrangement can be remote, in person, or hybrid.
The Senior Bookkeeper undertakes a broad range of responsibilities and interacts regularly with operating and management teams in the Official Languages Programs unit at CMEC, as well as with representatives from provinces, territories, and Patrimoine canadien/Canadian Heritage (PCH). The role has a significant portion of work related to accounts payable to ensure:
• approved disbursements to institutions (over $20M annually) are made in a timely manner and according to individual program guidelines;
• travel reimbursements adhere to corporate travel policies; and
• all expenses incurred fall within the internal financial controls and accounting standards of the corporation and of the Official Languages Programs.
• Review all claims submitted for each Official Languages program to ensure they comply with requirements, prior to disbursing funds to institutions and other vendors.
• Review coding and appropriateness of vendor invoices prior to processing payments.
• Communicate with provincial and territorial coordinators as needed to clarify and expedite the processing of information and claims.
• Address queries from external partners about payments due and allowable claims under the program.
MONTH-END REVIEW AND CLOSE
• Review monthly transactions and key accounts to ensure accuracy and completeness.
• Prepare and post all adjusting and month-end entries to the general ledger.
• Review adjusting entries and financial results with the Director, Finance and Corporate Services.
• Obtain signoff from the Director, Finance and Corporate Services to close off the financial period.
• Assist with year-end entries and adjustments.
• Prepare the year-end audit file.
• Work with colleagues in the Finance department to provide answers and supporting documents requested by external auditor.
QUARTERLY PCH CASHFLOW AND MONTHLY FINANCIAL REPORTING
• Prepare standard monthly financial reports for the Official Languages Programs, i.e., Odyssey, Explore, and Destination Clic, and review them with the program coordinator. Address ad hoc queries as required.
• Produce the Quarterly PCH Cashflow reports, as per guidelines outlined in the Accounting Manual (including multiple scenarios as required).
Key qualifications and experience
• Three to five years’ work experience in finance and/or accounting
• Bachelor’s degree or diploma in accounting or equivalent
• Accounting designation is an asset, but not required.
• Proficient in English and French (both written and spoken)
• Prior experience with accounting software packages. Knowledge of SAGE is an asset.
• Advanced Excel skills and excellent data skills. Knowledge of MS SQL database is an asset.
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and handle pressure
The position offers a competitive salary based on experience, as well as
a full benefits package, including:
- Competitive vacation allotment
- 12 statutory holidays
- 10 sick days
- 5 personal days
- Personal wellness and professional development account ($600)
- Contribution towards employee’s own retirement savings plan
- Health benefits
- Flexible work schedule, with the opportunity for remote work
Please send an electronic version of your cover letter and résumé to the Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC), to the attention of Human Resources by 4:00 p.m. EDT, May 29, 2023. For more information, visit us at www.cmec.ca.
CMEC is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse, and accessible environment, where all employees, business partners, and clients feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Human Resources team know.
CMEC thanks all candidates for their interest in this position. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
CMEC is an equal-opportunity employer.