Sr. Director, Technology & Innovation
Who we are:
GSL Group includes a wide range of businesses including E-Commerce, Sports and Entertainment, Hospitality, Food & Beverage, and Real Estate Development and Construction (Commercial, Industrial, Residential and Sports & Entertainment Facilities).
We are looking for a Sr. Director of Technology to lead our Technology & Innovation team. This role will bring broad technical and operational expertise to play a transformative role leading the full range of technology and product development initiatives at the company, including overseeing Officepools.com.
The ideal candidate for this position will be passionate about tech innovation, willing to explore new ideas, but also very focused on business outcomes. As a leader, you have a proven track record for helping teams scale and perform at a high level - you’re passionate about people development, accountability, and results. As the Sr. Director, Technology, you will be at the forefront of creating GSL’s technology vision and product roadmap and will report directly to our CEO.
Have we got your attention yet? Good! Now let’s get into the details:
A day in the life:
- Oversee vision, strategy and execution for product development and Officepools.com
- Lead formulation of all the Company’s technology vision and product roadmap, and communicate the vision and priorities across the company to all relevant stakeholders
- Ensure the transformation of product ideas from ideation into actionable concepts, timelines, and projects while maintaining a serious consideration of the financial implications, marketing needs and the overall objectives of the business
- Establish governance, policies, processes, and communication to deliver reliable products within cost targets and with schedule predictability; ensure delivered work product meets/performs to functional requirements
- Provides regular updates on project progress and outstanding issues
- Building trusting relationships and working collaboratively with other business leaders in the organization to ensure alignment on strategic goals and priorities
- Play a leading role in evaluating market and technology trends and their implications for GSL’s technology vision and roadmap
- Ensure that every function in the product development organization is led by a unified and cohesive vision and shared priorities
- Lead the creation of GSL’s intellectual property (IP) strategy and ensure proper execution of it
- Serves as a technical expert on existing applications supporting the business area, along with other inter-related / adjacent systems and applications
- Ensure that product development resources are allocated in line with overall business strategy to products/technologies and Business Units
- Establish sound product development methodologies and procedures for conducting research, conceptualization, design, prototyping, etc. across the entire product development department Build technical and process excellence in each key area of product development
- Effectively deploy a mix of internal and external product development models that fit the need of the different products and technologies GSL offers
- Ensure continuous improvement in the product development department as well as in our abilities to deliver products and solutions that create exceptional customer experiences People leadership and cross-functional communication
- Ensure continuous improvement in the product development department as well as in our abilities to deliver products and solutions that create exceptional customer experiences
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage
- Help departments use technology profitably; setting a vision for how technology will be used in the company
- Supervise system infrastructure to ensure functionality and efficiency
- Build quality assurance and data protection processes
- Monitor KPIs and budgets to assess technological performance
- Use stakeholders’ feedback to inform necessary improvements and adjustments to technology
You own this if you have:
- The successful candidate will have 10+ years of experience in product development, with 5+ years in executive management roles in product development
- Proven track record of leading growth efforts and managing several teams in specific technical disciplines in the IT or AV industry
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field; MBA or other relevant graduate degree is a definite asset
- Master’s Degree or PhD in engineering, computer science, business, or similar discipline
- Prior experience with and strong understanding of both hardware and software development best practices and methodologies
- Prior experience with and strong understanding of in-house, joint, offshore, etc. development models
- Ability to comprehend technical concepts as well as business needs
- Knowledge of intellectual property rights
- Knowledge of other web technologies and UI/UX standards
- Evaluates the applicability of leading-edge technologies and uses this information to significantly influence future business strategies for the area(s) supported
- Able to design systems/applications with a high level of complexity (e.g. many interfaces, multiple packages, platforms).
- Experience developing apps that visualize large quantities of data and handle data streaming
- Experience with the full SDLC process, versioning, code management, and deployment methodologies
- Knowledge of technological trends to build strategy
- Understanding of budgets and business-planning
Ideally you will have:
- Passion for technology and fantasy sports
- Excellent people management skills (coaching/mentoring)
- Excellent communication, organization and presentation skills
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills
- Comfortable working in a diverse, entrepreneurial environment
- Highly innovative and enjoys exploring new solutions and technologies
- Detail oriented, highly organized and able to handle fluctuating workloads
- Trustworthy, honest and reliable – ability to maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information
Benefits, perks & other cool stuff:
- Flexible schedule
- Competitive salary
- Employer paid dental & extended health coverage
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Remote working temporarily due to Covid-19
- Awesome co-workers!
Culture is very important to us at GSL! We want someone who, along with having the above qualifications, is also passionate and driven. You have a ‘can-do’, positive attitude and enjoy collaborating and working in teams. If this sounds like you, please apply today - we can’t wait to discuss the role in more detail with you!
GSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are dedicated to providing a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. All employment decisions are made based on qualifications, job requirements and business needs. GSL is passionate about being known for an inclusive culture where talented people of all backgrounds want to work.
We innovate | We have tenacity |We Empower | We get things done | We are Unique |We have fun
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position