The New Product Introduction (NPI) Quality
Engineer is a key member of the quality team responsible to enable the proper
setup and launch of new products, variations or existing products or product
changes in general, ensuring that complies to copy exact requirements, change
management process and any other applicable processes and manufactured product
will comply with the customer quality expectations.
The NPIQE works in close cooperation with
the multi-disciplinary team integrated by engineering, purchasing and
manufacturing to ensure all steps defined in the NPI process are achieved,
approvals of the different product gates are conducted, the related quality
documentation is complete on time, the components/supplier are qualified and to
identify and mitigate risk among other activities.
- Customer expectations
- The customer expectation is well understood
and translated into specifications
- Correct specifications for manufacturing
and design are selected during product development to meet those expectations
- Product is characterized, and issues
resolved for operations to manufacture the product to meet these expectations.
This includes adjusting specifications as required and agreed with the
- Specifications are modified (as required),
based on warranty return data and company financial goals, to meet the warranty
and product cost goals, which is a measure of how well Photon is meeting
- Surveillance the process and ensure the NPI
process and practices are used or escalate as needed any discrepancies or
- Audit the gate review reports to validate
that are conducted, and actions required to achieve approval are complete and
- Audit the different aspects of the NPI
process to ensure compliance.
- Validates that necessary data, documents
and evidence are properly collected and stored.
- Propose opportunities to further improve
the NPI process.
- Identify the risks early in the program and
determine the special characteristics for the product to ensure we meet the
- Coordinate the root cause analysis of nonconformances
detected during the NPI process
- Liaison between engineering and supplier
quality to coordinate:
- The qualification of new suppliers and
- Supplier drawing acceptance
- Supplier FAI for components
- The definition of special inspection beyond
- The identification of new equipment/tools
- Ensures that drawings meet our internal
standards and are properly reviewed and approved.
- Deliver the necessary Quality documentation
required as part of the NPI in every gate review.
- Evaluate product/process capability in the
corresponding gate as required by the NPI process
- Create the control plan for the product and
updated as required by the NPI process
- Actively participates in creating and
updating the DFMEA and PFMEA for the product
- Define the characteristics to be measured
using SPC, and control limits.
- Participate in the different gate review
- Participate actively in the product release
to production by ensuring:
- Product/process documentation is complete,
- Any identified risk is mitigated,
- NPI prior gates open items are fully
- Training is provided to operators prior the
- Tools are available and properly documented
and validated and into the equipment manager database
- Equipment is available, calibrated,
instructions and setup are documented and available.
- Validate products comply with regulations
and national or international standards, such as RoHS, REACH, Conflict
Minerals, WEEE, etc.
- Participates in the development,
implementation and maintenance of company and organization Quality Assurance
policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance to the quality management
system, while evaluating and promoting best practices to meet internal and
external quality expectations
- Performs other duties as required
- Serves as internal auditor, carrying out
audits of quality management system areas as required by the audit schedule
- Identify opportunities for improvement in
the incoming inspections process.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Minimum a 5 years’ experience working as
new products introduction in the manufacturing environment, preferably under
the copy exact requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
(Mechanical). Professional designation engineer will be an asset.
- Possess a successful record NPI implementation.
- Knowledge of new product introduction
practices and procedures, preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 and the proper
implementation of industry practices in the NPI process
- Proficient in creating and maintaining control
plans, DFMEA and PFMEA
- Proficient of root cause analysis, supplier
corrective and preventive actions
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes
including fiber optics, surface finishing, machining, plating, injection
molding, PCBA, electronic/semiconductor fabrication, etc.
- Proficient statistical analysis included
but not limited to SPC, MSA, design of experiments, etc.
- Proficient to read technical
drawings/blueprints, specifications, bill of materials and CAD files.
- Proficient in MS Office software products (Outlook,
Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
- Experience using MRP processes
- Experience leading a team in multiple
- Strong interpersonal, communication and
- Demonstrate a good decision-making skill
- Ability to travel internationally