Direct Support Professional - Student Position
With notice at the beginning of the semester, we will work with students to have off for school breaks, and for exams. We will accommodate changing schedules due to changing school schedules.
I. PURPOSE OF THE JOB: To support the person to live her best life.
II. GENERAL DIRECT SUPPORT FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide individualized support to the person to pursue his/her best health
- Support with personal care tasks, including bathing, bathrooming, dental care
- Support with medications
- Support with medical coordination
- Seek to understand the person’s non-verbal communication
2. Encourage and assist the person to have her richest experiences
- Develop and attend opportunities for inclusion
- Develop and cultivate natural supports for the person
- Learn and respond to the person’s communication style
- Provide support to overcome barriers to the person’s community inclusion.
- Work closely with the person’s family advocates.
- Drive the person to his/her favorite places and support him/her to participate in activities.
3. Pursue and maintain the person’s existence in his/her chosen environment
- Support during work or volunteer activities
- Support to have a peaceful household
- Develop and maintain a personal and household budget
- Maintain adaptive equipment
4. Assist the person to prepare for the future
- Follow the concept and principles of Supported Decision-Making
5. Encourage and assist the person to be a self-advocate by:
- Respect the person’s choices and preferences
- Provide support to the person to exercise his/her rights and provide advocacy when needed.
- Assist the person to participate in self-advocacy activities as desired.
- Encourage the person to communicate about his/her needs and preferences and communicate grievances
6. Cultivate the person's best fit team by:
- Provide a positive image of Georgia Options to the community and assist with recruiting new Direct Support Professionals from the person’s community
- Train new Direct Support Professionals
III. COMPETENTLY PERFORM THE FOLLOWING TASKS
1. Document services provided
2. Maintain certifications
3. Bathroom routine for best health especially during night
IV. PROACTIVELY AND REACTIVELY ACQUIRE AND MAINTAIN THE FOLLOWING SKILLS
1. Communicate effectively, both verbally and non-verbally, with the people we support, families, other staff and the general public.
2. Provide choice.
V. EXPECTED OUTCOMES
For the person:
- The person is healthy, safe and satisfied.
- The person is included in her community.
- The person has strong natural supports.
- The person has quality documentation that reflects the services provided and secures their fundi
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position