Under the guidance and supervision of the Fitness Coordinator, the instructor provides guidance and leadership in a group exercise setting to all members and guests. Develops and monitors fitness programs, including cardiovascular exercise, resistance training, and flexibility. Maintenance of equipment, sound system, and the class area is a necessary requirement of this position.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have current Adult CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications, or complete within first 60 days of employment.
- Must hold current group exercise certification from the accredited body – general (YMCA, ACE, AFAA, NASM, NSCA, ACSM) and/or specialty, as approved by the Middle Tyger Family YMCA, within the first 60 days of hire.
- This position requires a friendly, enthusiastic, and conscientious leader with excellent knowledge and skill in the area of group exercise. The individual must possess a professional image and the ability to provide excellent leadership, up-to-date instruction, and motivation.
- An understanding of physical education principles including the proper segments in group exercise classes according to the identified class description.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations, and apply appropriate policies and procedures.
- The physical ability to lead and interact with group activities and perform related physical skills.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with members utilizing member involvement strategies.
- Conduct planned, organized, and fun classes by beginning and ending on time welcoming new participants to class and proper introduction.
- Inform participants on what to expect in a class by explaining and demonstrating the correct and safe way to perform all the exercises. Offer modifications for all exercises.
- Explain and demonstrate how to monitor intensity by pulse palpitation using a 10-second count and /or Rate of Perceived Exertion scale.
- Be conscious at all times of the fitness level of participants in the class, teaching at the level of the class.
- Must secure a qualified substitute, with supervisor’s knowledge, when unable to teach the assigned class.
- Assist in all aspects of promotion of your class, other YMCA classes, and special events.
- Utilize tools and information for the purpose of increasing member knowledge of fitness as well as other fitness programs provided through the Middle Tyger Family YMCA (i.e. handouts, current brochures, charts).
- Incorporate character development and member involvement into all program areas.