Accounting & Payroll Coordinator
Since 1987, Frontiers North Adventures has hosted guests in and around the subarctic community of Churchill, Manitoba to dine beneath the northern lights, sing alongside beluga whales, and lock eyes with wild polar bears. Our programs are meaningfully designed for wildlife and culture enthusiasts, photographers, and experiential adventure travellers. Our guiding foundation is our unwavering passion for Canadaâ€™s North â€“ the extraordinary wildlife, landscapes, and remarkable people and their customs. We consider ourselves stewards of the resources made available to us and conduct our business in a safe and sustainable manner. As a Certified B CorporationÂ®, we work hard to leave a positive impact on our travellers, the communities in which we operate, and on our employees.
We have a current job opening for an Accounting & Payroll Coordinator.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accounting & Payroll Coordinator is responsible for a wide variety of accounting duties including entering and reconciling journal and general ledger entries, resolving discrepancies, inputting revenue, processing customer refunds, completing bank reconciliations, processing biweekly payroll and posting the related entries, and acting as a point of contact between internal departments and accounting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enter and reconcile journal and general ledger entries and reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Use bookkeeping software to enter information into company files and databases, ensuring that all financial records are complete and accurate.
- Reconcile accounts receivable to the sales/billing system in a timely manner to ensure accuracy.
- Accurately input revenue.
- Process customer refunds in a timely manner.
- Complete bank reconciliations.
- Enforce financial and inventory controls.
- Stay current on the company, provincial, and federal financial regulations, and policies.
- Process biweekly payroll for all Frontiers North companies, ensuring employee hours of work, overtime hours, time off requests, and other payroll entries are accurately entered, and federal and provincial statutory taxes and social benefits are applied.
- Enter new hires and maintain employee information and employee self-service (ESS) accounts in the payroll and human resources information system (Payworks), ensuring data is current and accurate.
- Communicate with employees on payroll matters, answer their payroll-related questions, and providing training and assistance to them on using their ESS to access their statements, enter time off requests, and input overtime hours.
- Post-secondary education from a recognized institution in business administration, accounting, or related discipline, or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- New graduate of an accredited accounting program, or at least 2+ years of basic accounting experience is required.
- 2+ years of experience processing multi-faceted payroll (salary, hourly, overtime, gratuities, etc.) is required.
- Prior experience using Payworks is an asset.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles is required.
- Prior experience working in the tourism industry is an asset.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills including extensive experience using Excel.
- Experience using accounting software; prior experience using Sage an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to use a computer, including Mac operating systems, Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Internet, and server databases; prior experience using PEAK 15 software is an asset.
- The ability to effectively manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven ability to foster effective interpersonal relationships within a geographically and culturally diverse work setting.
- Ability to use initiative to identify problems and deliver solutions.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Office environment; long periods of sitting, using a computer and mouse, and viewing information on a computer monitor.
- Hybrid work schedule available (2 days remote work, 3 days office).
- The ability to travel to Churchill, Manitoba and other locations by air, vehicle, and/or train is required.
- Overtime may be required during evenings, weekends, and on holidays.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Frontiers North Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to creating an inclusive and respectful work environment for all our employees. Hiring and other employment decisions at Frontiers North are made based on merit and without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, record of offences, age, marital status, family status, religion, or disability.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position