Associate Vice President of Web Development & Digital Strategy
The National WWII Museum is currently seeking an Associate Vice President of Web Development & Digital Strategy. As a key leader on the Marketing and Communications team, the Associate Vice President will lead efforts to holistically transform the institutions web presence, providing a top-tier digital experience that reflects the Museums reputation as the #1 attraction in New Orleans and positions it as the most accessible resource for WWII content.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Associate Vice President will oversee the strategic and technical development, management, maintenance, optimization, and growth of the institution's websites, web-based applications, and other digital platforms.
Since the last major redesign of the primary Museum website in 2017, the institution has significantly expanded its original content production and added new visitor experiences, travel tours, educational programs, digital offerings, and other initiatives. Additionally, more than 20 separate websites house the Museums digital collections, curriculum guides, online retail, supplemental content, and more. This position will collaborate with Museum colleagues and third-party partners to assess and reimagine the Museums overall digital presence. The AVP will oversee and implement a comprehensive, sustainable plan that grows the Museums online audience while improving the online ticketing experience, digital fundraising and sales, and access to digital collections and other content. The AVP will oversee efforts to improve online navigation, implement more integrated and dynamic approaches to packaging historical content and educational resources online, incorporate robust and holistic search tools, and enhance search engine optimization. This position will also explore and help identify opportunities to incorporate new technology, such as artificial intelligence tools.
The ideal candidate is an innovative thinker and problem-solver who understands how to best present content online to maximize the user experience and enjoys managing highly collaborative, complex projects from conception to launch.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the Museum-wide effort in collaboration with the Vice President of Technology, other colleagues, and third-party partners to assess the institutions digital platforms and develop and execute a comprehensive plan that elevates the Museums online presence in order to expand online audience reach and engagement, improve the accessibility of digital content, and drive increases in ticket sales, online donations, and other online retail/program sales
- Oversee the Museums front-end and back-end website development as well as ongoing maintenance and updates.
- Lead efforts to continually improve the Museums website functionality and user experience, working with colleagues to develop web strategies that meet the needs of various digital audiences: potential Museum visitors, students, teachers, researchers, lifelong learners, donors, and general audiences.
- Supervise the Museums in-house web development team as well as third-party vendors, contractors, and others to assess and prioritize online projects, to enhance the overall online presence, to conduct regular updates, and to troubleshoot issues
- Stay on top of digital trends and best practices to ensure Museum web products remain up to date and provide a competitive advantage.
- Work with colleagues across the Museum to better utilize databases and leverage data to meet the institutions goals.
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice President of Marketing to support enhancements to the Museums robust email marketing program.
- Work with the Museums Information Technology team to maintain a secure, compliant, and effective web presence.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Analyst and Digital Content Strategy Manager to monitor the behavior of the Museums online audiences and provide insights and recommendations to optimize the digital experience and increase online engagement.
- Work closely with other members of the Marketing and Communications team to ensure that timelines for web projects/updates are maintained, that the online needs of the Museum are effectively addressed, and that brand and design standards are upheld.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in website/digital management, development, and marketing
- Proven experience managing complex tech projects, like website redesign, and working successfully with multiple stakeholders and vendors
- Proficiency in building and maintaining responsive sites in content management systems such as Drupal and WordPress, including experience with version updates, plug-in development, customization, theme extensions, API integration, and troubleshooting
- Experience leading a design-thinking process and implementing UI/UX principles
- Ability to make strategic recommendations on how to best present content online and troubleshoot issues
- Firm understanding of web standards, compliance, security, and accessibility
- Experience using Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, or other analytics products
- Understanding or willingness to learn database architecture
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with keen attention to detail
- Proactive work style with ability to manage multiple projects, consistently meet deadlines, and find creative solutions to problems
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build positive, collaborative relationships at all levels of the organization and with third-party developers, agency partners, and consultants
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.