Job Title: Maintenance Mechanic Trainee
Reports To: Blow Molding/ Process Control Manager
Solo Incorporated is a manufacturer and importer of sprayers, mist blowers, air blowers, and cut-off saws. We have been in business for over 75 years and in Newport News for 50+ years. We sell into the home hardware, lawn & garden, janitorial supply, and construction industries. Solo is a worldwide company with offices in Virginia, Germany, New Zealand, South and Central America, and China.
Job Summary – The maintenance mechanic is responsible for ensuring all production equipment is operational to support all blow molding and assembly operations. Follows all Soloâ Incorporated company standard operating procedures (SOP). This position works closely with Team Leaders, Quality Assurance Technicians, and assembly personnel. This position operates under general supervision utilizing standard procedures and guidelines.â
- Makes process changes involving blow molding machines, hydraulic, electrical and pneumatic machinery.
- Troubleshoots and takes corrective action related to all production machinery.
- Conducts start-up and shut down of production machinery.
- Monitors all production machinery to ensure the machinery is operating safely and to specification.
- Ensure all assembly equipment is functioning properly and in safe working order.
- Meet with Blow Molding/Process Control Manager to ensure production requirements are met.
- Review quality reports and take corrective action to prevent future issues.
- Complete workstation inspections to ensure overall safety and function.
- Foster a positive team environment.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Provide suggestions for increasing efficiency.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work well and quickly under pressure.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment.
- In-depth knowledge of industrial hydraulic systems, industrial pneumatic systems, industrial automation equipment.
- Ability to determine root cause and take corrective actions related to industrial equipment.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Ability to read and understand documents, such as schematics, manuals & reports.
- Strong commitment to high productivity and exceptional quality.
- Basic computer skills to manage and process data for use by self and others using word processing and spreadsheet software programs (Microsoft Office).
- Ability to use office machines such as a computer, calculator, printer and phone.
- Mathematical ability: addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize priorities.
- Ability to work first, second or third shift.
Education & Experience:
High School diploma or GED; 4-5 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Seeing: Must be able to read instructions or diagrams and work with small machine parts, tools, and equipment.
Hearing/Talking: Must be able to communicate with others by means of spoken words. Must be able to follow verbal instructions.
Sitting/Standing/Walking: Must be able to maintain mobility. This position requires the employee to stand for prolonged periods of time.
Climbing/Reaching: Frequent climbing and reaching is required for this position.
Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: Must be able to use hands and fingers to work with parts, tools, and equipment. Manual dexterity is essential in this position.
Lifting: Frequent lifting of up to 25 pounds and infrequent lifting of up to 60 pounds.
Work is performed in a manufacturing environment. Exposure to moving mechanical parts; moderate exposure to extreme heat/cold; hazardous chemicals; loud noises. Appropriate safety equipment is provided.
40 hours weekly and overtime as required for assigned shift Monday – Friday
- 6:00 am – 2:00 pm (First Shift)
- 2:00 pm – 10:00 pm (Second Shift)
- NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved in this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this job.