We are seeking candidates for the position of Geologist on the Freehold Business Development team. The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary team of Engineers, Geologists, Land and Business Development Professionals who are responsible for generating value from our 6.4 million gross royalty acres in Canada through leasing and royalty optimization initiatives, as well as evaluating royalty acquisition opportunities in Canada.
This role will be tasked with creating basin scale mapping within Freehold’s focus areas by working with multiple data sources (well log and core data, production information, published literature and company reports), and integrating these datasets with a robust reservoir interpretation.
This interpretation will feed into the asset value development modelling, determining remaining inventory, type curve regions, and reservoir risk. As well, the geologist is responsible for validating and utilizing vendor data provided as part of the acquisition process and providing the appropriate feedback to the negotiating landman and engineer.
Strong presentation and PowerPoint skills are required, as there are numerous recommendations to the management and executive teams, often with short deadlines. A creative nature is an asset, as part of the continuous improvement objectives of Freehold.
- Work effectively within the team to execute a strategy to optimize the value of Freehold’s Canadian land inventory, by identifying and quantifying opportunities within the portfolio
- Integrate incomplete and partial data sets to create interpreted geological field/asset evaluations and development model inputs
- Provide geological and risk analysis for economic evaluations
- Provide geological input into reserves evaluation
- Leverage large data sets quickly and efficiently to provide recommendations on acquisition opportunities
- Maintain awareness of industry activity, trends and regulations across all major oil and gas producing plays in Western Canada
- Deliver and defend bid recommendations to the Executive Management and the Board of Directors
- Represent Freehold with a high degree of professionalism and integrity
- Minimum requirement of B.Sc. Geology or equivalent and greater than seven years of working experience within the Oil & Gas industry
- Significant direct experience with acquisitions and short-timeline projects – flexible and adaptable to meet critical deadlines, while managing multiple priorities
- Capable research skills to supplement incomplete datasets as part of an asset evaluation
- Expertise with mapping, geological interpretation and analytics platforms such as geoSCOUT, Petra, Spotfire and PRISM are an asset
- Demonstrable ability to work with large datasets to apply creative solutions to complex problems
- A love of working with multidisciplinary teams, and a clear ability to communicate effectively with Engineering, Land, Finance, and Management groups
- Communicate highly technical details effectively and succinctly (both verbal and written)
- Self starter who can work independently and proactively to seek out opportunities
- Experience in peer led technical teams would be beneficial
- Insatiable curiosity, creativity and a drive for continuous improvement are preferred personality traits
- Current membership with APEGA and a P. Geo. Designation would be considered an asset.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada at the time of application
Additional Working Conditions:
Hybrid Work Program Information - We understand the way we do our work has changed and our employees are looking for flexibility with a blend of in-office and remote work. Rife currently has a hybrid work program in place allowing us to live, learn and adapt in a way that works for our business and our employees.
What does our hybrid work program look like?
- Combination of in-office and remote work: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday are core in-office workdays, Monday and Friday in-office or remote based on your preference
- Flexible work hours, while committing to being available during our core hours of 9:00am – 3:00pm
If you choose to participate in the hybrid work program, you will:
- Be provided with a Rife computer or laptop when working in the office
- Require access to a personal computer when working from home
- Health and Wellness spending account
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Pension plan
- Flex day program
- Hybrid work program
Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
Committed to attracting and retaining diverse employees, Rife Resources will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, we strive to create and maintain a working environment that is welcoming and promotes diversity of thought, inclusivity and equity.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position