Reports To: Vice President of Ministry Services
Under the guidance of the Vice President of Ministry Services, this position oversees the
Recovery Programs of Waterfront Rescue Mission. With excellence and vigilance, this position
will oversee the program, personnel, schedule, standards, ministry outputs, and outcomes of all
things that pertain to ensuring that a client is given long-term life transformation. He will also be
required to actively teach classes, assess curriculum and teachers, and connect with community
resources to bring to program for enhancement and improved client outcomes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1) Christian Commitment: Must exemplify and model Christian behaviors and values and
possess high levels of ethics, honesty, and character. 2) Education/Experience: a. Bachelor’s
degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university or four years related experience; and/ or;
b. Training or equivalent combination of education and experience of at least 2 years. 3) Must
have an endorsement from a recognized Christian body. 4) Minimum of four years’ experience
as an educational professional, business professional, or community leader is desired. 5) Must
have a valid driver’s license and be insurable by the WRM’s insurance carrier. 6) Must be able
to pass a Level 2 Background Clearance for the purposes of being able to gain access and
enter data into the HMIS Case Management System.
Must be able to develop, encourage and inspire teams through active leadership. Must have
knowledge and experience to research and present Christian material non-denominationally.
Must possess a high degree of commitment to confidentiality. Must have the ability to write
reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Must be willing to sign the
Waterfront Rescue Mission’s Statement of Faith.
Soft Competencies, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrates the Mission Statement and Core Values of the Mission in all job functions and
day to day activities.
• Supports the organizational goals of the Mission.
• Always maintains a professional and positive attitude during day to day Mission activities.
Strives to provide a positive cultural environment for co-workers, clients and customers.
Director of Recovery Programs
• Practices stewardship by taking ownership of one’s duties and responsibilities and does not
waste or destroy Mission assets and/or properties.
• Exemplifies teamwork and the ability to always work well with others. Must have the ability
to form effective working relationships with supervisors, subordinates, other staff members,
and the public.
• Exemplifies motivation to perform at his/her very best every day and puts forth an effort to
motivate others to be at their very best.
• Demonstrates good communication and interpersonal skills and is able to effectively present
information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other
employees of the organization.
• Exemplifies safety mindfulness during all Mission related activities by always utilizing and/or
wearing any and all required safety equipment, always looking for ways to improve
organizational safety, and ways to avoid accidents and/or injuries.
• Demonstrates the ability to manage conflict in a constructive manner. Has the ability to deal
with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
• Ability to read and comprehend general instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
Has the ability to write general correspondence.
• Demonstrates commitment to co-workers, customers, clients and the Mission by maintaining
regular job attendance and punctuality.
• Always exemplifies a neat, clean and professional appearance and hygiene.
• Demonstrates the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of Mission business affairs and
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of computer operations and software.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plans, oversees and enforces compliance of the Recovery Programs, including but not
limited to the 90-day, Recovery Program, and the Career Development phase, as well.
• Responsible for hiring, educating, training, mentoring, staff encouragement, staff discipline
and delivery on the objective of sharing Christ through the ministry of WRM.
• Develops deep nurturing, educational and communication opportunities for recovery staff
and ensures staff are not over-taxed or wanting spiritually.
• Ensures programs are implemented and integrate the ministry’s program policies and
• Develops ways to improve and measure programs, staff, and facilities to provide for
development of Christian lifestyles and the learning of life skills for the clients.
• Provides leadership and direction for the ongoing maintenance, improvement, and growth of
the Recovery Curriculum through ongoing education of trends and industry standards, as
well as teacher development, and collaboration with community resources to provide robust
course offerings that are beyond the scope of WRM expertise.
• Responsible for coordination of WRM Aftercare Program and Alumni Association.
• Serves as a contributing editor of the web-based Policy & Procedures files and folders which
also encompasses the Citygate Network Certification documents.
• Stewards the ministries assets, good name, & organizational best interests.
Director of Recovery Programs
• Assists the VP of Ministry Services in the development of budgets, inter agency
communication, identifying program needs and providing reports as needed.
• Assists in the coordination for staff training including the required training programs.
• Provides leadership and methods for a grace-based adult-to-adult model of ministry.
• Practices and promotes the Core Values and ensures an operation that will methodically
deliver the Brand Promises.
• Practices, promotes, and demands client respect and confidentiality of information.
• Acts as a mediator during times of conflict and crisis.
• Serves as Client liaison or advocate when necessary.
• Travel is necessary and to be expected for education, training, development,
encouragement and temporary duty.
• Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or other Mission management.
This position provides leadership and supervision for the Mission’s Recovery Programs
(including Waterfront’s Recovery Program, and the Career Development Campus). Carries out
supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws or
regulations. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning,
leading and team building; reporting, development, assigning and directing work, appraising
performance; encouraging and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving
problems, etc. Budget development and compliance at the Corporate and Ministry level will be
required. Working with 3rd party corporate relationships is to be expected; either in contracting
or collaboration. Also, this position will help coordinate efforts needed for data collection,
oversight and reporting related to WRM Ministry related software systems. This position is
considered the primary coordinator for church and clergy engagement (related to ministry, not
for Development or sponsorship requests); this would include the solicitation of volunteers,
mentors and providing feedback to these partners on the spiritual success / challenges of WRM
The computer skills described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Intermediate computers skills are required for this position, which include aptitude in the use
of the Internet, e-mail, spreadsheets, and maintaining data bases through means of
accurately and proficiently entering data.
• Must be knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft Office Suite & case management software;
basic computer and typing skills a must.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
Director of Recovery Programs
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of the job, employee is frequently required to sit, talk and listen.
The employee is frequently required to drive, stand, and walk. The employee must occasionally
lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Daily work will primarily be delivered indoors. Bending, reaching, squatting, climbing and sitting
may all be expected in daily activities. The noise level in the work environment is usually
moderate but may change based upon the location / activity at the time. The work environment
may change frequently during a day as the work activities should be considered fast paced.
Regional travel should be expected.
I have reviewed this job description and do not have any reservations about my ability to
perform all duties of the position.
20201113 WRM Director of Recovery Programs Job Description, v. 1