There’s a side of Big Sky, Montana that speaks to those seeking something special. A vast 8,000 acre landscape where stunning natural beauty and an endless array of alpine adventures blend together to create a private club and mountain living experience like no other.
Whether it’s winter or summer, Moonlight Basin is something you won’t soon forget. The mountain scenery, the direct access to some of the finest skiing at Big Sky Resort, the hiking, the golf and so much more all add up to the perfect place to work and enjoy Montana.
Moonlight Basin is located right in the middle of the best things to see and do in Montana. You can visit Yellowstone National Park. Explore the national forest and wilderness lands.
The Director of Food & Beverage has overall responsibility for the food and beverage outlets and all divisional associates for both Front and Heart of House. This position must have experience creating and implementing pre-opening critical paths for all food & beverage operations, pre and post opening budgets, operating standards, job descriptions and training manuals for each position. After opening, the position is responsible for ongoing operations, refining operating standards and practices as needed based on business conditions, preparing all financial reports from annual budgets to monthly forecasting, meeting all goals and objectives set annually. The successful candidate will have impeccable professional references for exceptional leadership and communication skills, cutting edge technical food & beverage knowledge for opening and operating a high-end hotel or free-standing restaurants.
· Integrate with our team and embrace the responsibilities associated a senior leadership position
· Maintain profitability of division to support overall club operation. Control payroll and equipment costs (minimizing loss and misuse). Ensure par stock levels are maintained by calculating inventory. Evaluate cost effectiveness of all aspects of operation. Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancing measures.
· Control the elements that determine profit and loss. Responsible for all major operating expenses. Set margins and manage the business against projections. Make decisions that relate to profit and loss. Responsible for the financial management of the operation. Have a passion for and aptitude for teaching and training for all food and beverage staff.
· Be positive and enthusiastic motivator.
· Conduct industry research to project future trends.
· Develop new concepts that ensure the highest possible quality of food and beverage services.
· Ensure associates clearly understand performance expectations and assigned tasks are reasonable, well-conceived and appropriately conveyed. Provide resources necessary to allow employees to perform their jobs effectively and be fair and firm in adherence to club policy and procedure.
· Take personal ownership of his or her area of responsibility, with special attention overall appearance of the operation and understand the need to be consistently “member ready” in both appearance and service.
· Work in coordination with other department leaders to ensure consistent standards result in high member satisfaction.
· Be responsive to members’ requests for menu selections, event planning, etc., and strive to find creative ways to accommodate reasonable requests.
· Have a strong sense of urgency and responsiveness, while maintaining quality and integrity of the department’s business plan.
· Hold weekly staff meetings with direct reports to keep them informed of necessary and relevant activities and expectations at the Club. Assist in planning and be responsible for ensuring special club events and outside events are well-conceived and executed.
· Move throughout dining and kitchen areas during service to monitor and take action as necessary to ensure members and guests are provided an excellent experience.
· Ensure that an effective orientation and onboarding program exists in all areas of responsibility, along with consistent professional development and training. Involve associates in the decision-making process of how ‘work gets done’ and creates a work environment people want to come to and participate every day.
· Establish and maintains standards for the food and beverage department to ensure a consistent guest and member experience.
· Assist in the overall development of the summer and winter club calendars.
· Oversee menu selections.
· Responsible for the selection, training and development of key leadership personnel within the division and its departments. Able to exercise hire and fire discretion within Moonlight Basin’s policies.
· Create a cohesive food and beverage team; beverage program, front of house, culinary, and events departments
· Oversee divisional matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws.
· Ensure compliance with all applicable health and safety regulations.
· Uphold Moonlight Basin core mission, vision, and values, and lead associates to do the same.
· Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Preferred in Hotel/ Restaurant Management.
· A minimum of 5 years of prior opening and management experience of high-end restaurant’s and/or hotels.
· A minimum of 5 years of experience as a department head or senior leadership position at an ultra-luxury level operation.
· At least five years of experience in an executive level food & beverage and multi-outlet position.
· Excellent verbal and written communications.
· Strong leadership skills and abilities to lead a large team as well as the ability to work cohesively with other business units.
· Ability to motivate employees.
· Excellent customer service skills and the ability to deal with internal and external customers in a tactful and diplomatic manner.
· Strong knowledge of fine dining restaurant services.
· Strong cost control skills and ability to consistently produce profit expectations.
· Computer literate; Word, Excel, Outlook.
· Strong understanding of operating systems software
· Must be detail oriented and organized with the ability to multitask.
· Ideal candidate will have occupied a similar or higher position for one to two years.
· Contract management and tracking
· Inventory asset management and tracking
· Ability to create proper documentation for recruiting, coaching, safety, discipline, etc.
· Manage, maintain and manage equipment leases.
· Ability to negotiate with various vendors in order to obtain the desired guest and operating supplies at the best quality and price.
· Basic understanding of liquor laws and serve save programs.
· Required to lift and carry items up to 50 pounds on a regular and routine basis.
· Must be able to exert well-paced mobility to maneuver quickly among different areas of the facility.
· Must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of this position and should not serve as an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all the possible duties, tasks and responsibilities for this specific job. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of this position might differ from those outlined above and other duties may be assigned as necessary.