Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of our city's most vulnerable? This is your opportunity. The Mustard Seed is looking for individuals like yourself to support our guests staying in our Foothills shelter.
Shelter Support Worker - Relief works as part of a team and closely with Mustard Seed guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services so that they can have a positive coordinated exit from the shelter. Shelter Support Worker - Relief are on the front line and respond to guest needs on an ongoing basis, while maintaining the shelter daily operations. Shelter Support Worker - Relief also work alongside our many volunteers and ensures that they are supported, trained, and cared for. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
Position Type: Casual
Schedule: Hours are on an as needed basis and may include days, evenings and overnights.
Reporting to: Shelter Supervisor
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support guests seeking shelter through meeting basic needs and assisting guests with internal and external resources in a respectful manner;
- Respect proper boundaries with guests;
- Administrative tasks, maintain guest records and write accurate logs;
- Support and work alongside volunteers;
- Be a pro-active and supportive team-mate to fellow staff members;
- Support TMS culture, ministry and uphold TMS values;
- Maintain daily shelter operations which includes laundry, operating the hygiene room, cleaning the dining room, mat area and washrooms, maintaining and operating the locker room, searches and security walks;
- Maintain a safe environment through supervision, zone and bathroom checks, and enforcing shelter expectations with guests;
- Availability to take on-call shifts as required;
- Attend required training;
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Must be able to work any of the shifts including on the weekends;
- Diploma/certificate in relevant discipline;
- 1-year experience in social work or counseling preferred;
- Strong people and communication skills;
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions;
- Customer service experience;
- Ability to remain composed under pressure;
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team;
- Experience working with volunteers and in a team environment.
- Moderate amounts of walking, climbing, standing, sitting, lifting, carrying, and daily interactions with colleagues and guests is required;
- This position is often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve;
- Training in usage of a two-way radio communications; MS Office based computer programming, as well as the HMIS database system, FDARP, FOIP, First aid, NVCI, and SafeTalk is required;
- Desire to serve in a Christian ministry.
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and sign our statement of faith.
- Employment Security Check is required.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect
is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only
those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed
reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers
page to see more job opportunities.