This position is responsible for assisting the Camp Ranger in the performance of his duties on a part-time basis as directed by the Camp Ranger.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are some of the essential duties and responsibilities of the full-time Camp Ranger. This part-time position would be expected to assist the Camp Ranger in those duties as follows:
The full-time Camp Ranger:
- Performs year-round grounds maintenance which includes snow removal, trail clearing, road maintenance, and lawn mowing. Provides waterfront physical facility maintenance.
- Maintains the interior and exterior operations of camp buildings. Maintains water supply and treatment, septic system and plumbing schedules. Ensure garbage/trash left at dumpster is removed. Maintains gates and posted signs to discourage unauthorized access onto the camp property. Checks building(s) and grounds for cleanliness, good repair, functionality, and adequate supplies before and after group/troop uses a site. Monitors site for damage caused by weather or vandalism and reports findings to the Property Director. Opens and closes all outdoor camping units by cleaning and making repairs, turning on water systems, moving equipment, and winterizing pipes and water systems. Provides lightning risk assessment and protection measures. Maintains fire alarm and detection systems and their operation, maintenance, and routine testing; type, location, and maintenance of fire extinguishers; inspection and maintenance of exits; required fire drills and log.
- Cleans and maintains equipment. Maintains inventory of tools, equipment and supplies.
- Ensures vehicles and equipment are accessible, functional, and meet legal requirements. Ensures vehicles are maintained and operated according to NYPENN policies and procedures.
- Security- Conducts regular security checks to ensure the safety of individuals on-site and to protect the council’s property. Maintains gates and posted signs to discourage unauthorized access onto NYPENN properties. Monitors site for damage caused by weather or vandalism and reports findings to Property Director.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Ensure camps are properly prepared for visitors/members by maintaining a safe and clean property
- Provide excellent customer service to all visitors/members on property
- Communicate all issues and concerns regarding property use/safety to the council for timely resolutions
- Able to work with minimal direction and supervision, with the ability to organize time and duties, follow through with assignments and meet deadlines. Ability to coordinate numerous ongoing activities.
- Flexibility in work assignments and interest in assuming new responsibilities in an evolving work situation are essential.
- Ability to employ strict discretion in sensitive situations.
- Frequent movement. Travel work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Evening and weekend work conditions occur sporadically through the program year.
- There is no substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions with the exception of weather-related travel conditions.
Additional criteria for the part-time position
- High school degree required.
- Must have valid NYS driver’s license. Ability to operate heavy equipment.
- Professional manner and appearance.