Do you have strong work ethic and a
heart for those experiencing homelessness? Join our Community Engagement Team!
Reporting to the Director
of Community Engagement, the Community Engagement Coordinator facilitates a
variety of educational opportunities around issues of poverty and homelessness
amongst a diverse range of groups. Community Engagement Coordinator must be
passionate about social justice and possess a genuine desire to be a part of
ending poverty and homelessness in Alberta. Fosters collaboration, partnership
and synergy with other stakeholders and thrives on working within a
results-driven, progressive not-for-profit organization.
Type: Part time
Schedule: 24 hours per week, Monday to Wednesday 8:00am - 4:30pm (May include
some weekends and evenings)
Reporting to: Director of Community Engagement
months contract with possibility of extension
- Fulfill the mission of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and
maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff,
donors, volunteers, community participants and visitors
- Create opportunities for volunteers, donors, and visitors to
learn about and contribute to the mission and vision of The Mustard Seed
- Facilitate various community engagement programs that take
place throughout the year such as SeedServe (weeklong engagement with youth
groups), sandwich groups, social issuer walks, and presentations to all age
groups and demographics
- Design, develop and implement strategies to increase
opportunities to partner with and make presentations to a diverse range of
groups including churches, community groups and school groups (focusing on
children in kindergarten to Junior High)
- Facilitate popcorn, sandwich, and snack groups with schools
and youth groups
- Identify, recommend and execute opportunities that encourage
strategic partnerships and advance Public Education for The Mustard Seed
- Track statistical information and provide thorough analysis
and reports as required
- Work in a team environment, collaborate on new initiatives
and projects to increase awareness around issues of poverty and homelessness
for staff, volunteers, and the general public
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Social Services degree or Humanities degree and/or
experience working within the culture of the inner city and/or with people
experiencing poverty or homelessness
- Two+ years of related experience working with communities
that are affected by poverty and homelessness considered an asset
- A demonstrated passion to be involved in ending homelessness
in Alberta is essential
- Excellent public speaking skills particularly with children
- Lead groups in an engaging learning environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, public relations and group
- Excellent administrative, time management and organizational
- Multitasking and flexibility a must in a fast-paced
- Proven ability to network and build strategic partnerships
- Competent with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint) and Google Docs
- Educate the public on social justice issues as it related to
homelessness and poverty, knowledge of mental illness and addictions is an
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently
- A moderate level of physical fitness is necessary for
leading outdoor neighborhood walks
- High mental effort required to pre-emptively identify and
assess conflict, problem solve, maintain healthy boundaries, and provide
empathetic support for people facing extreme personal struggles
- The position will require ongoing compassionate care,
frequent manual labor, conflict resolution and organizational ability
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions
at The Mustard Seed.
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our
employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s
Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a
full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
position requires the use of a personal vehicle for company use. The candidate
must have a valid driver’s license and maintain $2M Vehicle Liability insurance
on the vehicle being used.
This position also requires the use of a company vehicle and a driver’s
abstract will be required.
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect
is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only
those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed
reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.