- If you are someone who loves connecting with the community, we would love to hear from you!
- Enjoy a rewarding front-line role supporting our clients.
- Cantonese, Mandarin and other languages highly sought after.
- Full time-permanent.
- $42,900 annual salary.
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB) is a non-profit organization with a mission to provide healthy food to those in need. The GVFB provides support to more than 8,500 people weekly across Vancouver, Burnaby, and New Westminster. We also provide food support to approximately 80 community agencies throughout these communities, such as housing agencies, women and children’s shelters and after school programs, who in turn provide meals and snacks to thousands of people each week.
Our vision is to create healthy communities through fair and effective food systems. Currently, the GVFB receives, purchases and distributes 4.5M lbs of food each year.
We provide a modern and inclusive office environment, with excellent Skytrain accessibility and free parking. Our competitive benefit plans for this position include: healthcare/dental/vision, 3 weeks accrued vacation leave and a Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan. Your birthday and a personal day are additional paid days off.
The GVFB is a certified Living Wage Employer! This recognizes the GVFB’s commitment to paying fair wages, upholding good work standards for our employees and contributing to poverty reduction and a higher standard of living in our community.
Our Distribution department is recruiting for community focused individuals who are looking to make a difference and provide an exceptional level of service to our clients. The Front-line Client Coordinator is someone willing to go above and beyond in support of their community.
Suitable candidates will have the flexibility and drive to be involved in multiple aspects of our weekly distribution of healthy food to those in need across our catchment areas of Vancouver, Burnaby and New Westminster.
- Provide onsite support for staff, volunteers and community site partners;
- Maintaining efficient flow of food distribution to clients; clarifying policies and procedures;
- Host or attend the onsite volunteer huddle as the staff representative to provide updates on policies, upcoming events, and to hear feedback;
- Communicate to the corresponding departments regarding issues and incidents (e.g. volunteers, menu, health and safety);
- Administration and data entry involving our in-house database and Microsoft Office Suite;
- Setting up distribution sites (e.g. stocking shelves, coolers, etc.);
- Ensuring the distribution site is clean and well maintained at all times;
- Ensuring computers and scanners are in proper working order.
Personal attributes and core skills
- Ability to work with sensitivity and without discrimination towards people of diverse cultures, races/ethnicity, socio-economic positions, ages, religions, genders, physical/mental health challenges/disabilities and sexual orientations;
- Engaging, welcoming and helpful in your approach to dealing with people and situations;
- Must be a critical thinker, who can act on their feet;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Aptitude to learn;
- Ability to multi-task in a busy client facing environment;
- Flexibility to work at all of our locations in Greater Vancouver;
- Team player, willing to go above and beyond to assist others;
- Effective interpersonal communication skills (written/oral), including active listening skills;
- Proven ability to problem solve and to take responsibility for completing tasks in a timely fashion;
- Knowledge of and ability to employ conflict resolution and diffusing skills as needed;
- Lead by example, coach with patience, and model positive behaviour.
Qualifications and experience
- 2+ years’ experience working in customer service roles;
- Verbal and written proficiency in Cantonese or Mandarin preferred;other languages are an asset;
- Previous experience working in the hospitality industry is very advantageous;
- Working experience of using Microsoft Word and Outlook;
- Public speaking experience and being comfortable speaking in front of small groups.
- Physically fit and have the ability to lift up to 50lbs on a consistent basis;
- Exposure to ambient temperatures and noisy conditions;
- The ability to walk and stand throughout the shift.
We are actively recruiting for this position and encourage you to apply now if you are keen on this opportunity!
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF document.
A criminal record check for working with vulnerable sectors is required upon hiring.
Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Applications will be treated in strict confidence.