JOB FUNCTION: The Driver will be responsible for carrying out the transportation phase of the program. Responsibilities include operating St. James Parish Transit vehicles throughout the parish on a scheduled basis and as demand response to assure smooth coordination of public transportation in St. James Parish. This position is classified as essential during declared emergencies or natural disasters and non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Conveyance for all public transportation needs including but not limited to life-sustaining such as doctor offices, hospitals, and for non-emergency situations, resources such as food stamps, public assistance, Social Security Administration, Veterans Administration, and for the purpose of conducting necessary household matters such as purchasing food, clothing, prescription drugs, and paying bills
· Make sure passengers are properly seated before moving the vehicle
· Keep accurate records of services rendered to all passengers
· Report o office for assignment when no vehicle is available
· Ensure passenger information sheet is filled on each vehicle used
· Maintain cleanliness of vehicles on a weekly basis
· Accomplish pre-trip and post-trip inspection of vehicles daily
· Be familiar with all department policies and regulations and functions within their framework
· Attend staff meetings and council meetings when required
· Become familiar with all safety and emergency techniques and apply it when and if the need arises
· Perform special and related duties or assignments as requested
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma or equivalent preferred but must be literate. A person must meet the necessary vehicles, state licensing (i.e. CDL) and safety requirements. A person must provide complete physical examination form (to be furnished) from certified physician and every 24 months thereafter, as long as employment continues. A person must have good judgment. A person must be morally responsible. A person must be free of nonprescription drugs and alcohol.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or general education diploma (GED).
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one- or two-step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must meet the necessary vehicle and CDL (Commercial Drivers’ License) licensing and safety requirements.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works inside and/or outside weather conditions, extreme heat/cold, near moving mechanical parts, and is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is sometimes very loud.