ACADEMIC ASSISTANT – JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Academic Assistant
REPORTS TO: Coordinator, Academic Programs
FLSA STATUS: Part-Time; Hourly; Non-Exempt
EEO STATUS: Administrative Support Worker
Snider Hockey is a nationally acclaimed non-profit that uses the sport of hockey to educate and empower under-resourced youth of Philadelphia to prosper in the game of life. Evidence-based outcomes are young citizens who:
- Achieve academic success as they matriculate from Crayons through College;
- Consistently make healthy and thoughtful life choices;
- Serve as positive role models to the next generation of Snider Hockey student-athletes;
- Realize gainful and rewarding employment; and
- Give back to their community.
The Academic Assistant will serve as an academic resource for Snider Hockey student-athletes. Academic Assistants will help student-athletes with homework, required tutoring, facilitate participation in academic activities and deliver academic programming. Additionally, they will track attendance, update bulletin boards, prepare academic supplies at the rink and build relationships with parents and student-athletes. The Academic Assistant acts as a professional role model that displays our core values of education, responsibility, hard work, and giving back. The successful candidate will take pride in mentoring student-athletes to become lifelong learners.
- All applicants must have a minimum of a High School Diploma in order to be considered for the position, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Successful candidates will be those who have experience working with children, particularly within an academic and athletic environment.
- Applicants must be reliable and possess a general willingness to assume all required responsibilities by performing all assigned tasks.
- It is especially important that candidates are comfortable working in a fast-paced and high-profile environment.
- Attention to detail and strong communication skills are critical.
- Advanced computer skills are needed and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications is essential.
- Applicant must pass Pennsylvania background clearances.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
General responsibilities will include taking a lead role in tracking and monitoring report card collection data and monitoring student performance. Academic Assistants assist with all academic activities at their respective sites. The Academic Assistant will also provide administrative support with various academic projects while connecting players with appropriate academic support resources. The successful candidate will take pride in mentoring participants to become productive citizens who give back to their communities. The Academic Assistant plays a vital role in spreading the Foundation’s core values of education, responsibility, hard work, and giving back.
- Collecting report cards from all Snider Hockey participants. It will be necessary to communicate with parents and players on a daily basis.
- Developing and distributing promotional materials such as posters, letters, and handouts with regards to report card collection.
- Maintaining records of participants’ academic performance. This includes compiling individual report card data, maintaining detailed spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel and Google documents, and completing requested statistical analyses of the spreadsheet data.
- Communicating with the Site Coordinator on a daily basis to inform them of players’ academic performance and any students in academic danger.
- Connecting students in need of academic assistance with appropriate resources and when necessary providing additional academic support, including but not limited to: reading assistance, required tutoring and homework help, and assisting students to apply to college.
- Experience in STEM topics is preferred, but not required.
- Work location is most likely in Northwest Philadelphia or Northeast Philadelphia.
- Flexible availability is necessary as night duty and travel throughout the Greater Philadelphia Region is required. Occasional weekend work may also be required.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled