Job Title: Director of External Affairs and Alumni Relations
Department: External Affairs and Alumni Relations
The Director of External Affairs and Alumni Relations develops, implements and directs effective and strategic communications, public relations and marketing program for Saint Charles Seminary that increase public awareness to drive admissions to all its higher education programs, strengthens relationships with its alumni and supports the overall fundraising goals of the institution. The director will use all available communications channels including advertising, media relations, social media, collateral and content development, hospitality and internal communications. In addition, the director will oversee all alumni affairs including regular communications with alumni, management of alumni events and engagement with the alumni community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and implements strategic communications, public relations and marketing campaigns to increase awareness and appreciation of the seminary's mission.
- Directs all media relations for the seminary to ensure accurate and timely coverage of events and news.
- Advises the Rector, faculty, and staff on current and potential public relations, community relations, alumni opportunities, and issues.
- Directs the development, writing, and editing of various publications.
- Directs the development and maintenance of the seminary's website, social media channels and digital marketing.
- Plans and executes several annual seminary events including, open houses, concerts, golf outings, galas, graduation, ordinations, special visits, and lectures as well as other events hosted by the seminary and outside organizations.
- Coordinates the arrangement of media interviews, news events, ceremonies, and other public relations events.
- Acts as the point person and organizer for all marketing hospitality including hosting partner bishops, vocation directors and potential candidate and families.
- Works closely with the Archdiocesan Director of Vocations to implement programs which showcase the seminary and recruit potential seminarian candidates and families
- Assists with the preparation of publications and promotional materials including The Brook news magazine, Press Releases, E-blasts, and other publications. Oversees the updating of content for the Seminary's websites, social network sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and creates advertisements and other marketing pieces for publication.
Candidate must be a self-starter and have an ability to work independently. Specific skills preferred include media relations, collateral development, digital/web development and social media. Special event experience and alumni engagement experience are also very important. The director interacts with several faculties, staff, consultants, partner dioceses and Archdiocesan officials and therefore must have excellent interpersonal skills, be able to present concepts effectively verbally and in writing and be able to achieve understanding and support of individuals and groups.
The successful candidate will have 5-7 years' experience working in a marketing environment with proven results. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in college/university marketing and communications departments.