JOB FUNCTION Performs a variety of the more routine tasks and duties in support of the Utilities Distribution and Production Department to ensure that water served to the public is safe; collects and analyzes water samples; responds to customers' water quality concerns; performs water quality system flushing; and maintains lab instruments and sampling stations. This position is classified as essential during declared emergencies or natural disasters. This is a nonexempt position, forty hours per week. This position is “Safety Sensitive” and subject to random drug testing as per the St. James Parish Council Employee Handbook.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes any combination of the following illustrative examples of duties and responsibilities including but not limited
· Assist in collecting water samples from the Utilities production and distribution system
- Assists in the water quality system flushing program to enhance the water quality delivered to customers
- Assist to calibrate and troubleshoot analytical instruments
- Cleans sample bottles and portable laboratory equipment; maintains sample stations
- Assist to compile information and prepares various documents; creates and submits reports to regulatory agencies when necessary
- Maintains the appropriate level of sampling bottles and supplies required to conduct routine sampling and analyses
- Reviews and compiles information from various databases and computer files.
- General knowledge of the hazards and applicable safety rules and regulations in equipment operation
- Pertinent federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping and filing
- Ability to perform physical labor required of the position
- Ability to perform daily housekeeping duties
- Have some knowledge of computer systems
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. St. James Parish Government is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or general education diploma (GED), basic principles and methods of water quality testing, treatment, and standards.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and, proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: “Must” possess a valid Louisiana Driver’s License, (class “E”) with an acceptable driving record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, controls, and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:The work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in conditions of, extreme heat and cold, near moving mechanical parts, and is frequently exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee frequently works in high, precarious places and is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.