This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Provides direct supervision of a group of children on a seasonal day camp. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience.
For more information scroll down to WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Supervises a group of children.
- Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attends staff meetings and training.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Cultivates positive relationships and maintains effective communication with parents, children and other staff. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience working with children preferably in a day camp setting
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping, songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc…
- At least 17 years of age
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training, before hire preferred.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
Salary: $7.50-$8.75 an hour
-Must be able to work 40 hours weekly.
-Must commit to 7 out of 8 weeks of camp. First week of camp June 10th, 2019 week and last week of camp is August 5th, 2019 week. No camp July 1st-July 5th week.
-Must attend training May 30th- June 2nd. There will be one more mandatory day in May must attend a training off-site. TBD
-INTERVIEWS will be held MARCH 9th 2019 from 2pm-6pm, MARCH 23rd, 2019 from 2pm-6pm, and the last one will be May 11th, 2019 from 2pm-6pm. All interviews for this position are held at the Middle Tyger Family YMCA in a group setting.