Monday – Friday, 8 hours a day
Starting Salary: Determined by experience
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Melinda Webb School is looking for a Teaching Assistant who is dedicated to working with young children.
The Melinda Webb School at Texas Hearing Institute is a private preschool located in the Texas Medical Center where children with hearing loss learn to listen and speck alongside typical hearing peers. The Melinda Webb School serves children from ages 18 months through 6 years old. Students at The Melinda Webb School use hearing aids and cochlear implants to access sound in order to learn spoken language.
Experience with children with hearing loss is not required.
Associate Teachers in the Melinda Webb School are responsible for assisting with classroom preparation, curriculum implementation, and student supervision during the school day. They are directly responsible for student supervision during daycare hours.
- Supports the implementation of educational programs for children with hearing loss aged 18 months – 6 years old
- Works with children individually or in small groups under the teacher’s direction and guidance
- Performs daily duties assigned by the Language Teachers, Academic Teachers, and Director of Education
- Assumes direct responsibility for students during daycare hours
- Reviews and follows teacher lessons and anecdotal notes weekly, preparing materials for lessons in a timely matter
- Works with students one-on-one or in small groups under teacher guidance.
- Maintains active watch of students when on duty and redirects student behavior using the procedures outlined in the MWS parent handbook.
- Supervises bathroom needs and provides toileting assistance as needed
- Prepares facility for the school day by deactivating the alarm, turning on lights, arranging furniture and materials to create a safe school environment
Stand three hours a day; walk 10,000 steps a day; sit in low chairs and on the floor; hear; speak clearly; able to bend over; reach with hands and arms; able to lift or move 20 pound boxes or furniture; able to lift and carry a 50 pound child; control a child with aggressive behaviors; able to actively participate in outdoor events, including in extreme temperatures; Flu vaccine required, provided by the company at no cost to employees. COVID-19 vaccine required.
Education and Experience Requirements
High School Diploma and:
- 300 hours of experience working with young children
- 36 hours of professional development in early childhood workshops, conferences, or non-credit courses
- 3 college course credits in education, human growth and development, or behavior management
Philosophical agreement with and commitment to the mission of THI
- Classroom management
- Composure in stressful situations
- Patience when handling children
- Flexibility during schedule changes and special events
- Excellent oral and written use of English language
- Microsoft Word
- Desktop computers, laptop computers, thin client serves, iPad, projectors, scanner, fax machine, DM system, laminator
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position