Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer/Instructor
Emterra Environmental (Recycling & Waste Centres) is accepting resumes for a Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer/Instructor. This position will be located in the Lower Mainland (working five days a week), and will attend to four main facilities and eventually more Emterra sites throughout BC.
Emterra Environmental has years of experience operating four Recycling and Waste Centres (previously called Transfer Stations), open 7 days a week, 20 hours a day. The facilities annually receive and process 600,000 municipal solid waste.
Emterra believes in training and continuous improvement. Well-trained operators will have the knowledge to operate safely, maximize productivity, fuel efficiency, and avoid downtime, plus they realize the importance of daily inspection protocol and safety to achieve the company goals.
Essential Job Functions:
The Heavy equipment operator Trainer is primarily responsible for ensuring that employees receive the knowledge and practical training to be safe and productive Heavy Equipment Operators. This role will be required to develop the skills necessary to teach Occupational Health & Safety while ensuring Heavy Equipment Operators have the skill level to accommodate the operation’s needs. The Heavy equipment operator trainer must also develop/co-develop four training levels.
§ Level 1: Foundation training for junior operators/cross training
§ Level 2: Competent operator training
§ Level 3: Professional operator training
§ Level 4: Experienced and certified operator
The trainer will also ensure an understanding of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). In this role, you will foster healthy relationships and maintain communications with all operation stakeholders to help ensure training needs are identified and addressed promptly.
- Reporting to the Operations Manager
- Demonstrates leadership in Health, Safety, and Environment.
- Establish and promote a respectful and healthy work environment at all times.
- Organize and promptly deliver effective classroom, practical field-level functional competency, and follow-up training.
- Identify training needs for operational employees.
- Update employees’ training records.
- Assist in developing, reviewing, and revising Heavy Equipment, OHS, Site, and Company-related training programs.
- Enhance training material through continuous improvement. Incorporate new ideas, SOPs, changes, etc., into training materials.
- Liaise with Operational and Maintenance Departments to optimize training effectiveness and efficiency.
- Mentor and coach employees in the safe, effective, and productive operation of heavy equipment.
- Evaluate operator’s performance and report findings.
- Provide follow-up and refresher training to operators.
- Assist in the delivery of orientation training to the operational team.
- Assist in delivering and developing specialized certification training such as operating heavy equipment inside waste facilities, productivity Tons/Hour, incidents prevention and reporting, fuel efficiency, fire emergency response, waste handling, collision risk, communications with the ground staff, and equipment limitations.
- Ensure all training complies with legislative requirements and conformance with company policies.
- Mentor employees in hazard identification, risk assessment, and reducing risk.
- Support site managers in developing a training plan for each employee and monitor that plan for conformance.
- Participate in incident investigations when requested to do so.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have solid experience in the safe operating procedures of the following equipment Dozer (Cat D7), Track Loaders (Cat973), Front Wheel Loaders (Komatsu 380, JD 644), Excavators (Komatsu 210), and Forklifts
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A minimum of 5-8 years of trainer experience with a reputable training institute or equipment manufacturer, CAT, Komatsu, Volvo, or similar.
- Must have the equipment's theoretical and practical knowledge.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to prepare (Reports & PowerPoint training materials)
- Excellent coaching skills (Interactive training, mentoring, and communication)
- Completion of a Heavy Equipment Operator program in BC with trade certification
- Must hold the following valid Class licenses with operating experience:
§ Class 1
§ Class 2
§ Class 4
§ Class 5
- Minimum ten years of operational experience with loaders, dozers, excavators, telehandlers, forklifts, and tractor-trailers, preferably in waste management.
- Strong knowledge of heavy equipment specifications and applications.
Knowledge, Skills, & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health, safety, and environmental requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook.
- Excellent training skills.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work with a diverse team (respect for and accept cultural diversity).
- Ability to influence and inspire others and manage cross-functional relationships.
- A valid driver’s license and a driver’s abstract.
Salary Range & Working Hours / Working Schedule
- Mon-Fri (8 working hours)
- 70% field training and 30% office training
- Office base United Boulevard Recycling & Waste Centre (Coquitlam)
- Time management 1 week per site (North Surrey, Central Surrey, North Shore, Coquitlam)
- Based on experience Annually 75,000 – 78,000
- Company benefits from day one
2. Short-listed applicants to present a training session (For Excavator & Dozer). Applicants must prepare their own training presentation. Google or online free materials will not be considered.
3. A technical test with the maintenance and safety manager
4. Offer letter.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position