Operations Laborer I
St. James Parish is hiring for a Laborer I position under the Operations Department.
JOB FUNCTION: To provide physical effort to accomplish a variety of
semi-skilled tasks. This position is
classified as essential during declared emergencies or natural disasters. This is a nonexempt position, forty hours per
week. This position is “Safety
Sensitive” and subject to random drug testing as per the St. James Parish
Council Employee Handbook. Individuals
in this class are able to complete the majority of their work with a minimum
amount of supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Includes any combination of the following illustrative examples of duties and responsibilities including but not limited to:
· Cuts grass, weeds, trees, and brush; cleans culverts, drains, and ditches; moves, loads, and unloads materials, supplies, and equipment; hauls or carries sand, dirt, lumber, asphalt, and cement; and applies patching materials to highway surfaces
· Performs a wide variety of physical labor functions.
· Assists skilled workmen by carrying materials and tools or performing semi-skilled tasks
· Maintains equipment by washing and cleaning
· Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: N/A
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, and divide in all units of measurement using whole numbers.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS: Must possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license (class E) and have an acceptable driving record.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of the operating procedures and maintenance of equipment operated
· General knowledge of the hazards and applicable safety rules and regulations in equipment operation
· Working knowledge of traffic laws and regulations related to equipment operated
· Ability to perform or assist in minor maintenance and repair of equipment operated
· Ability to perform physical labor required of the position
· Ability to identify operating problems of equipment assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, controls, and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions, extreme heat/cold, near moving mechanical parts, and is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
St. James Parish is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. The parish will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, agree or political affiliations.