Outdoor School Teacher Naturalist SPRING 2023
Hiring TNs now for our 3 part Outdoor School program. Environmental education/team building/camp fun!
- Lead small groups of students through natural history based lessons
- Lead small groups of students through group challenge activities
- Lead large group ice breaker activities
- Lead evening programs (campfires, night hikes)
- Make students' field trip a fun, rewarding and memorable positive experience!
Our ideal staff members exhibit enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, integrity, self-motivation and adaptability. They are collaborative, spontaneous, willing to be goofy but also have a good head on their shoulders! Our staff members treat others with respect, and work though the tougher moments treating everyone with dignity and grace. TN duties are typically 5 day work weeks with some occasional weekend work available (compensated).
We look for folks who can make good judgement calls, are hard working, self motivated, flexible, enthusiastic and prepared to dive into any and all activities that we offer. We recruit staff who will be positive role models, who are patient, compassionate and genuinely committed to the welfare and development of young people! Our Teacher Naturalists represent our organization therefore we look for staff members who are comfortable working with a students and teachers from a wide variety of schools, from urban to private, elementary to high school.
Programs include day and evening duties but no overnight supervisory duties. Benefits include $350-$500/week DOE, housing and meals during programs and a FUN work environment. Housing is a private room in a shared house with 2-3 other staff members. College Settlement is committed to offering a very positive, friendly work place for its staff.
DATES: (flexible) March 1-June 7. Opportunities to work through August 12th
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in any youth development, recreation, environmental, outdoor or education related field or equivalent experience
- Passion for working outdoors, and for positive youth development.
- Three months+ experience with outdoor facilitation; challenge courses, environmental education, outdoor/nature themed programs and/or summer camp preferred.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather
Our three part program incorporates environmental education, team building and that that intangible camp magic that makes a student’s time spent here the highlight of their elementary and middle school years.
Our programs are kid-centered, paced at a rate that enables kids to build relationships with classmates, and spend quality time exploring the natural ecology of the area.
We work with students from all sorts of backgrounds, and our programs are intentionally designed to foster inclusion. Our 6 Teacher Naturalists (TNs) teach and engage students in a variety of classes including sustainable farming, outdoor survival, wildlife adaptations, low ropes, and wetland communities as well as many other ecology themed classes.
College Settlement's culture is progressive, embraces diversity and inclusion, and is rooted in deep seated traditions of treating people with dignity and respect.
All of our program fees are heavily subsidized, thus ensuring that all schools can afford to attend our camp. We are able offer a high value program at a much reduced cost thanks to our many funders and sponsors. We work with public, private and speciality school groups.
BENEFITS OF JOINING OUR TEAM
Other than the great work environment and rewards of being able to make a real difference -
- Excellent resume building opportunity
- Culturally diverse environment
- Accommodations and partial meal plan provided
- College Internship or Credit (contact your college for details)
- Opportunity to extend work into other seasons
- Opportunity to design own curriculum
- Ability to network with local school districts and organizations
- Opportunity to earn extra compensation with weekend work
Please answer all questions on our application form.