Do you want to play a key role in helping to develop girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place? Consider a career with the Girl Scouts! The Girl Scouts of NYPENN Pathways is seeking a Volunteer Services Manager to provide care and support to established membership. The Volunteer Services Manager helps to achieve Council’s overall membership and retention goals through the development and oversight of volunteer onboarding, training and recognition within an assigned geographic territory comprised of two of the four council regions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
A mix of field-based and office-based responsibilities; travel, along with evening and weekend work is required.
- At the direction of the Director of Membership Support and in partnership with Regional Support Managers, develops and implements strategies and initiatives for high-functioning, effective training.
- Recruits, develops, trains, and supports a core of council facilitators, orientation providers, and mentors
- Works with Director of Membership Support to create, analyze and revise materials and tools to ensure high-functioning service unit teams, including plans for success, year-end reports, support materials for effective leader meetings, team self-evaluation forms, newsletters, rosters, etc. Coordinate and participate in the Service Unit Manager Retreats. Disseminate pertinent GSUSA and GSNYPENN information to the teams.
- Works with outside agencies to supply training resources and programs for volunteers
- Uses the onboarding and Voices Count surveys, along with the service team surveys to routinely assess the effectiveness of training and support. Communicates the findings and the development plans to RSMs for their understanding of, and buy-in for, implementation of plans to raise or maintain high-functioning service teams.
- Implements, tracks and analyzes the components of the critical path for welcoming and onboarding new troop co-leaders and retaining existing co-leaders. Ensures that new leaders are welcomed and trained in a manner that increases overall retention. Identifies ongoing troop leader communications needs and report them to Director of Membership Support.
- With the support of Regional Support Managers and Council Facilitators, delivers service team and leader training programs, as directed by the Director of Membership Support, that meets the needs of new and existing service team members and troop leaders and that ensures the delivery by volunteers of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience. Serves as a backup facilitator for SU Encampment Director and Simply Successful Camping within the assigned geographic area when volunteer facilitators are not available.
- Manages the adult recognition program, including the recognition events. Promotes the awards and nomination process. Coordinates regional Volunteer Appreciation Dinners with the support of the local Regional Support Managers. Helps identify service team members and troop leaders deserving recognition; ensures that recognition gifts are presented in a timely manner.
- With the assistance of Regional Support Managers, nominates and promotes GSNYPENN volunteers for recognition outside of the Girl Scout organization for increased visibility and support.
- Develops a deep understanding of the Volunteer Toolkit, promotes it and attains a high adoption level by K-5 troop leaders within the assigned geographic area.
- Remains informed about and complies with the most current policies, procedures, and guidelines of GSNYPENN and GSUSA, including Volunteer Essentials and Safety Activity Checkpoints.
Works interdepartmentally to ensure Council goals are met.
- Works with cross-functional team to determine or develop innovative strategies to ensure the effective delivery of customer service to members.
- Provides support and staffing for Council-wide and regional events and programs as directed by the Director of Membership Support.
- Promotes and assists with public relations and fund development endeavors including United Way. Assist with the identification of council delegates.
- Coordinates the availability of support services to enable volunteers to carry out the responsibilities of their positions effectively.
- Communicates with and support recruitment efforts of administrative volunteers and council recruitment team.
- Keeps current on product program information and support the training and messaging provided to volunteers.
- All other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include a high school diploma; an associate’s degree is preferred and/or 4 years of relevant experience. Specialized training and expertise in the field of (adult) education are highly desirable.
Candidates must have an aptitude for, and interest in volunteer management and conflict management and resolution, with a willingness to continuously develop these skills. Advanced customer service skills, even in the most difficult situations, are required.
A deep understanding of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience is required, with the ability and willingness to model GSLE principles and champion its implementation Council-wide, with a strong commitment to oversee and support its delivery by volunteers.
Qualified candidates should be eager to adapt to technology and embrace new software applications such as Volunteer Systems/Salesforce.
Frequent travel is required. Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends. Must have access to personal transportation for business travel and have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.