QEW Overhead Line Inspector
MissionGO is a leading provider of UAS solutions and services. Formed by the professionals responsible for the first successful human organ delivery used in a transplant surgery via UAS and currently servicing one of the largest UAS inspection contracts in the United States, MissionGO is trailblazing the UAS industry by conducting innovative critical infrastructure inspections, flying medical and commercial cargo delivery, and providing UAS training and program stand-up to numerous public safety and commercial entities. At MissionGO, our top priority is safety. We strive to bring the focused safety culture of the crewed aviation industry to the uncrewed aerial system industry.
MissionGO has been awarded a 3-year contract with Southern California Edison to conduct overhead powerline inspections utilizing UAS and qualified line inspectors and is looking to bring on dedicated and passionate individuals to fulfill this contract.
Majority of work will be performed January - June 2023
NOTE! The performance of work on this job takes place in remote areas of California. Candidates are housed at different locations during the contract period and would be able to return home periodically as time permits.
When in the field, the Overhead Powerline Inspector (OLI) will serve a dual role. During flight operations, the OLI will serve as a UAS Visual Observer for the Remote Pilot in Command (RPIC) – for which MissionGO will provide extensive classroom and field based training in the areas of flight operations, flight and general safety, flight equipment usage, and proper visual observer training to the OLI. Upon completion of a flight operation, the OLI will switch roles and conduct visual inspections of distribution/transmission assets and enclosures. By reviewing high-resolution photographs and through visual observations in the field, the OLI will identify hazards that impact safety, company liability, and/or asset life – according to General Order 95 and General Order 165. This position does not require any repairs, digging, climbing, contact with the structures or components, or a UAS Pilot certification. Overhead Power Line Inspector will NOT perform repair work on poles and substructures.
• Minimum of 18 months experience in a combination of any of the following:
o Electric Transmission/Distribution (T&D) lineman, trouble man, journeyman
o Electric T&D Construction Management
o Electric T&D Design
o Electric T&D Engineering
• Has the intuitive ability to identify and assess common T&D structure components and component conditions (i.e. insulator types, shield wire connections, flash-over points, incorrect assemblies)
• Accredited certification from higher-education institution, trade school certificate (minimum)
• Must be a US citizen
• CA Class C Driver’s License or equivalent
• Must pass a background check and drug screening
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Ability to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
• Ability to work in harsh environments such as excessive heat, difficult terrain, etc.
• Safety-first mindset and team-oriented mentality
• Must possess high degree of integrity and be honest at all times
Preferred experience with the following:
• UAS operations or other aviation-based operations
• Preferred experience conducting T&D Reliability inspections by reviewing high-resolution imagery and various supplemental data
• Passionate about unmanned aviation
Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct certified inspections of distribution structures, transmission structures and their subcomponents
• Conduct overhead line inspections in accordance with relevant Federal, state, and local regulations and to the satisfaction of MissionGO and our customer.
• Ensure all required reports are entered into the system accurately and prior to the end of shift
• Conduct inspections, report priority issues, and interact with customer regarding discovered safety issues
• Report any incident to the Operations Manager or their designee
• Know and adhere to General Order 95 and General Order 165 and any other applicable directives
• When asked, assist the RPIC with pre-flight inspection and aircraft setup
• Maintain a visual line of sight of the UAS at all times during flight operations
• Ensure the airspace around the UAS is safe and no hazards are present
• Communicate with the RPIC during flights to provide safety information and situational awareness
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually somewhat louder than a traditional office environment but does not exceed government noise limitations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. During flight operations, applicant must accept applicable temperature and other environmental conditions that apply to outdoor operations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (computer work). While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands and fingers, handle, or feel surfaces, and hear aircraft related sounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be self-driven, able to take charge, work independently, complete assignments in a timely manner with little to no supervision, yet still take instruction and supervision. Willing to work with a team to build relationships with diverse communities internally and externally. Excellent interpersonal skills, enthusiastic professional with pleasant positive manner and demeanor, a strong desire to satisfy customer needs, and ensure a high quality delivery of service. Applicants should also possess strong writing, editing, proofreading, schedule management and communication skills (mail, email, instant messaging, in-person, phone), and have the ability to adapt and clearly convey information.