The Combination Sales Representative contacts existing or potential customers to promote new and used sales of material handling equipment and systems. They also handle all sales development for specified products within the assigned territory. They must also maximize customer satisfaction by creating and maintaining aftermarket product support that is responsive to customer needs. This includes timely, high-quality aftermarket service at competitive costs to the customer while maintaining sufficient profit margins and professional image for Delta Materials Handling. Direct responsibilities may include fixed price maintenance programs, equipment rebuilds, parts consignments, rentals, used equipment and customer training. Additionally, the position handles customer complaints and concerns in a professional manner and shares the information with management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct territorial market research to identify potential industries, accounts or individuals for sales development.
- Initiate direct contact with key material handling equipment and systems users.
- Respond to all inquiries from users and suppliers.
- Survey the needs of the customer base. Carefully determine user needs and wants before consulting with company and factory engineering staff to develop concepts and applications for the customer.
- Organize all proposal data for review with engineering. Schedule communications with suppliers in advance to assure that they meet your presentation due date.
- Present and document all sales proposals in person. Be sure to carefully document each presentation and answer any concerns that are expressed by the customer.
- Inform each potential customer about the total depth of services provided by the company.
- Follow up on all proposals. Be certain that any changes or revisions initiated by the customer are well documented.
- Upon acceptance, process the order and inform the customer of project status from installation to completion, start-up, and final payment.
- Marketing and sales of all aftermarket services offered by the company. This may include, battery stands, pallet jacks, battery pullers, and other accessories and supplies for allied material handling equipment.
- Plan and supervise new account development, including calls on new customers.
- Act as liaison between customers and company sales and parts departments. Coordinate customer service functions with other departments to assure timely delivery and installation.
- Maintain a high level of communication with other departments to stay abreast of pricing, equipment updates, specials, etc.
- Conduct safety and driver training classes as required.
- Supervise the preparation of quotes and proposals in concert with other interested departments.
- Coordinate the evaluation of used equipment for new sales and trade-ins with aftermarket personnel and sales.
- Maintain the customer contact file with monthly updates.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain accurate project management records and keep sales management informed of the status of each open project or recent sales proposal.
- Maintain a high degree of communication about customer proposals with engineering and sales support staff.
- Prepare equipment operational descriptions if required for specific projects.
- Maintain positive communications with all company managers and departments.
- Coordinate with other department managers to develop aftermarket promotions.
- Actively assist accounts receivable personnel in resolving credit and delinquent account problems.
- Manage the gathering and distribution of market research information for future sales development.
- Oversee of the inventory control process and assist in the development of customer spare parts lists.
- Produce timely management reports for the aftermarket sales department.
- Conduct training for department sales personnel; maintain high competency levels for all product lines.
- Monitor and encourage superior customer communication skills for all department personnel.
- Take initiative in developing new methods and procedures for the department as required.
- Any and all other duties as assigned by management.
- High school education, plus additional years of continuing education with emphasis on sales and marketing. Previous field experience is a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, management and co-workers.
- Must be skilled in PC applications, including word processing, file management, project management spreadsheets and presentation software.
- Able to understand equipment specifications and perform mathematical calculations.
- Effectively communicate in oral or written presentations.
- Provide effective oral and written communications to customers and company management.
- Have general knowledge of business administration practices and 1-3 years of relevant business experience. Previous sales experience is desired. Must have a working knowledge of the product line.
- Work is performed in an office environment as well as a wide range of customer locations and facilities. Frequent travel to these locations is required.
- The demands of the position often exceed normal working conditions. Company workloads may require working after hours or on weekends.
- Must be able to push, pull, lift, or move up to 50 pounds.
Employment Disclaimer: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description is not a contract. Management reserves the right to change its contents at any time. This organization complies with the guidelines set forth in the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era. This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer.