our new Maple Ridge staffed resource. The proposed start date for this position is August 6, 2023. These positions require BCGEU membership.
Care Worker ensures that the youth's physical, emotional, social, educational,
and medical needs are met. The Youth Care Worker assists youth to enhance
quality of life with activities of daily living and the development of life
skills. It's an exciting time to join us! We are
expanding the program that provides care to youth
with moderate to severe behavioural challenges and assists them to live
successfully in a staffed resource home.
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: Maple Ridge, BC
Hours of Work: The usual hours of
work are different for each of these positions and are as follows:
- Schedule 1: Sunday to Thursday from 4:00PM to 12:00AM, based on 40 hours per week.
- Schedule 2: Sunday to Thursday from 8:00AM to 4:00PM, based on 40 hours per week.
- Schedule 3: Sunday to Thursday from 12:00AM to 8:00AM, based on 40 hours per week.
- Schedule 4: Tuesday to Saturday from 4:00PM to 12:00AM, based on 40 hours per week.
- Schedule 5: Tuesday to Saturday from 8:00AM to 4:00PM, based on 40 hours per week.
- Schedule 6: Tuesday to Saturday from 12:00AM to 8:00AM, based on 40 hours per week.
Minimum Requirements: a Diploma (6o credits/two years) in a related
human/social services field, and six (6) or more months of recent related
Who we are:
PLEA is an accredited,
not-for-profit, charitable community services agency that has operated
throughout BC for more than 40 years. We deliver high quality, innovative services
to children, youth, adults, and families facing significant challenges in their
lives. PLEA is an ally in
reconciliation. The organization is committed to providing culturally safe
programs and continuing to work towards breaking down the barriers that cause
harm to Indigenous people and communities.
What you will do:
- Monitors youth in residential
settings and ensures their safety and well-being. Recognizes, analyses,
and deals with potential emergency situations such as aggressive behaviour
to ensure no harm comes to the youth and/or the public. Identifies and
reports critical incidents to their manager. Complies with youth safety
- Ensures effective communication
and coordination between the Family Caregiver, internal staff, and the
youth. Liaises with external stakeholders such as the school, family, and
the community, where appropriate.
- Provides feedback to the youth on
their behaviour, teaches coping techniques and adaptive behaviour
strategies, and provides guidance and support to youth on a one-to-one
and/or group basis.
- Teaches youth to relate in a
socially appropriate manner through the use of daily routines and
activities. Provides life skills training such as meal preparation,
housekeeping, personal care skills and personal finance as required by
their service plans.
- Participates in various
youth-focused activities in accordance with the youth's service plan.
- Participates in the assessment,
goal setting and program planning (service plan) for youth living in a
staffed resource home. Documents, implements and provides input into the evaluation of
the youth's progress.
- Provides crisis intervention and
emotional support to youth in accordance with established policy.
- Coordinates, schedules and
accompanies youth to appointments and community outings.
- Performs residence/program
maintenance and housekeeping duties such as laundry, sweeping, mopping
floors, mowing lawns, inventory, shopping, cleaning equipment and meal
- Maintains reports such as
statistics, logbooks, and case notes on daily activities with youth.
- Assists the youth in
self-administering medication in accordance with established policy.
- Protects and upholds
- Performs other related duties as
What you will bring:
- Effective interpersonal skills
and the demonstrated ability to build trusting and effective relationships
with youth, Family Caregivers, internal staff, professionals and families.
- Effective de-escalation, crisis
management and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated teamwork and
- Demonstrated ability to work
independently and take initiative, make sound decisions and follow service
and safety plans in high pressure situations.
- Effective time management and
- Effective oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to be
sensitive and understanding of individuals' social realities including
issues of race, culture, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual
orientation, poverty and lifestyle.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues
and trends related to the program.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and database systems.
PLEA benefits and perks:
- Education and
- Employee and
Family Assistance Program (EFAP) â€“ confidential and voluntary counselling
support services and wellness resources.
Membership Fees for Club 16 Trevor Linden and She's Fit.
Recognition Program (i.e., long service awards).
Social Events (i.e., summer barbecue, annual holiday party, and team days).
Membership - exclusive managed discount, reward, and benefits programs.
*these benefits are available to employees who are eligible for PLEA's health and welfare benefits.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record
- Satisfactory Centralized Services
Hub Clearance by the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
- Must possess a valid Occupational
First Aid Level 1 Certificate or be willing to obtain one prior to hire.
- The candidate may be required to
complete a Tuberculosis Screening Test prior to the start of
- A valid B.C. Driver's License
(Class 5 or Class 7), and suitable driver's abstract.
- Documentation that the applicant
is legally approved to work in Canada.
- Our funding contracts require
that successful applicants are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to
their start date.
Please submit a resume
and cover letter referencing the competition number 2023121YCW6. Closing
date for Internal Applications: Monday, July 31, 4:30PM. If the
positions are not filled internally, they will remain open until filled.
Note: PLEA conducts primary source verification of applicant's
credentials including education, training, work history, and licensure.
We thank all applicants
for their interest; however, only those shortlisted for an interview will be