We are looking for Engineering Managers to inspire and guide some of our Engineering teams at Coconut. You are expected to perform at a high level and lead your teams in rapidly and efficiently building solutions to revolutionize the banking experience at some of the industry leading financial institutions, focussing on iteration, experimentation, and stability.
We don’t need you to be an expert in PHP or React but you must be willing to learn as you go, in a fast growing team, and you’ll have our full support on this journey.
What you’ll be doing:
- We innovate on top of a modern solution stack consisting of web technologies (such as React and Laravel) utilizing a RESTful architecture, and backed by relational DBs (MariaDB and PostgreSQL) and deployed using Docker in an AWS environment.
- You don’t need to have experience in any of our specific technologies: we’re great at teaching good engineers how to use our modern SaaS stack (but experience in Object-Oriented Programming and Web Components is an asset!)
- We don't follow rigid Scrum, but we do work in an agile, iterative way, and try to continuously improve and implement what works for us
- Blameless culture and a continuous improvement mindset
People Leadership: You will be coaching, mentoring, guiding, and motivating a team of engineers from different backgrounds. This includes all aspects of people management including hiring and training team members, and using tools like great 1:1s, pair programming, or training sessions.
Technical Delivery: You’ll be helping your team(s) deliver code in a high trust environment using continuous delivery, ensuring the team has a great delivery cadence and a strong connection with stakeholders (using demos, retros, blameless incident reviews, and the like). While you won’t be as hands-on with the code as your team, you’ll still be writing code, helping with code reviews, and fixing bugs; as well as providing technical advice and documentation for systems/processes and tracking projects to ensure successful grant applications.
Planning and architecture: Evaluating the performance of the technical architecture of our infrastructure and evaluating and adopting industry trends will also be required. What you bring to the team:
What’s in it for you?
- You have significant experience with success and failure, which helps you make better decisions.
- Previous experience managing engineering teams, including coaching, mentoring, guiding, and motivating engineers (at least 2 years)
- Strong experience in working on major systems in one or more object oriented programming languages (PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, Rust, Java, C++, NodeJS, etc)
- Effective at nurturing relationships and managing multiple stakeholders across different teams
- Driven by the value that ‘how we win matters’ and a passion for building inclusive, collaborative teams that put people first.
So, what’s next?
- “Cabana Days” - our version of a four day work week!
We work regular business hours Monday to Thursday. Then, we’re encouraged to take Fridays off to rest, recharge, and do the things that make us happy!
- Ability to do your job in a supported, flexible environment;
- Genuine career opportunities in a company that’s creating new jobs monthly;
- Work in a team big enough for growth but lean enough to make a real impact.
- A full range of benefits to keep you happy & healthy;
- Competitive Salaries - we pay fairly based on experience and expertise, not your ability to negotiate!
- Health & Dental Benefits featuring Virtual Care
- Annual Wellness Spending Account
- Flexible & Remote Work Opportunities (with a dog friendly office!)
- Employee Stock Option Purchase Plan
- Professional Development & learning opportunities
- Internet Subsidy
- Tiki Bucks Incentive Program
- A People First Company - 4.9 rating on Glassdoor
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place in a team you’re proud to work with every day! (even if it’s virtually!) . For a glimpse into our world check out our Instagram here.Who we are and what we do:
We believe in a world where advisors can create long lasting relationships with their customers and operate more efficiently.
Collaboration. Honesty. Empathy. Elevate. Respect. Sharing.
Coconut Software makes it effortless for customers to connect with their financial institution. Our enterprise appointment scheduling and lobby management solutions are used by leading banks and credit unions across North America, including RBC Royal Bank, Arvest Bank, Vancity and Rogue Credit Union. The result? A seamless customer experience that’s improved NPS scores, reduced wait times and increased conversion rates for the organizations who use it.
Founded in Saskatoon, by 2018 Woman Entrepreneur of the Year, Katherine Regnier, we’ve grown to over 80 employees with offices in Saskatoon, Toronto and a remote team distributed across Canada. After completing the Google Accelerator for Startups and having just closed our Series B funding round (raised $28M CDN led by Klass Capital), we have ambitious growth plans to scale the team and continue to bring exciting new products to market!
Coconut has a company culture that is best in class. With a foundation in and emphasis on people, passion, and performance, we are seen as the disruptor in our space.
Some recent awards we're proud of include being named as a Great Place to Work in Canada and one of the Best Workplaces for Inclusion, Best Workplaces for Youth and one of the Best Workplaces for Mental Wellness in 2021.