This is a seasonal position with varying day and evening hours based on restaurant demands. This individual will work in a fast-environment as part of the Slack House Kitchen team and is dedicated to providing an exceptional culinary and dining experience to its guests. Reports directly to the Director of Culinary Services and is expected to work weekends and holidays.
Cooks in the Slack House kitchen works together as ONE KITCHEN, where cooks are cross-trained and work in multiple positions in the kitchen such as Prep Cook, Line Cook, Garde Manger, Baker and Expeditor. A cook’s willingness and flexibility to cross-train in the kitchen allows one to learn and excel in multiple positions within the kitchen, thus increasing their own culinary knowledge and expertise . Cooks may work in multiple food service venues at Lakeside Chautauqua,
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Essential Duties Include, But are Not Limited To:
Food Preparation and Cooking
· Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurants recipes, portioning, cooking, plating and serving standards
· Produce food on a day-to-day basis for breakfast, lunch, dinner, special events, afternoon teas and crew meals
· Perform all assigned cooking tasks within time allotted
· Assist in loading, handling and proper storage of food and related items
· Ensuring proper rotation of perishable and non-perishable food items
· Monitor inventory levels
· Assist in ordering food.
Essential Duties continued:
· Help maintain the cleanliness of Slack House Kitchen and equipment
· Assist in washing dishes as needed or as assigned
· Able to take direction well and work as part of a team
· Must be able to read, write, and speak effectively
- Effectively communicate with manager, back of house and front of house staff
- Maintain positive attitude while working in hot, fast paced and stressful environment
- Uphold Lakeside’s Mission Statement, personally representing its goals and values at all times while on the Lakeside grounds, creating a pleasant and memorable stay for our guests
Culinary Skills (preferred but not required)
· Culinary Terminology Knowledge
· Understanding of Classical Cooking Techniques
· Kitchen Math Skills
· Knife Skills
High school diploma or GED is required. Additional culinary training preferred .
ServSafe Certification preferred
Experience in commercial kitchen production preferred, but not required
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively with guests and co-workers.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk;
use hand to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, climb or balance;
specific vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.