The Manager of Customer Support is a key member of the Professional Services organization management team and will report to the VP of Professional Services and Customer Support. Their primary objective is the timely resolution of customer support tickets initiated through various channels (phone, e-mail, and ticketing system). In support of this goal, the successful candidate’s primary responsibilities will include monitoring and escalation management associated with customer support cases, effective triage of a large volume of cases of varying priority, continuous improvement for all customer support processes, and development of the team of support professionals they will manage.
The Manager of Customer Support must demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques in developing best practices and support methodologies for the team to utilize. Responsibilities generally include, but are not limited to: dealing with concepts and complexity comfortably, and effectively acquiring, applying and sharing knowledge that supports Company’s business strategy and adds value to Company results; providing general instructions on routine work and detailed instructions on new projects or assignments; developing and providing ongoing training on company products and solutions using a variety of delivery methods including formal classroom training, shadowing, and self-study materials.
As a corporate strategy contributor, the Manager of Customer Support also shares responsibility in ensuring that the support business remains aligned with the long term vision of the company. This includes helping to assess new strategies for providing support, market opportunities for revenue expansion, and remaining fluent in changes in the technology, service delivery, and customer success landscape.
To meet the needs of SmartLinx customers, working outside of normal business hours and holidays is required. In addition, some travel is required to the NJ office as well as client locations as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of Technical Support Specialists through performance coaching and career development activities
- Periodically perform post mortem assessments on critical and costly escalations to drive product and process improvement feedback
- Resolve employee issues and act as the employee advocate when dealing with cross-functional and inter-departmental processes as needed
- Improve productivity by highlighting deficiencies and recommending a change in tools, training, processes, reporting, and employee engagement
- Facilitate customer resolution for escalated calls and engage the necessary technical support
- Report operational achievements and progress to leadership on a regular basis including statistical analysis and improvement through action plans
- Work with other managers to ensure operational consistency and productive communication
- Maintain a mindset of continuous improvement in terms of efficiency of support processes, customer satisfaction and the application of tools for monitoring
- Build relationships with the operational and technical department management of key customers
- Develop a strong relationship with the sales team to increase support services agreement sales - includes negotiating and closing services contracts
- Deliver and exceed on all team performance targets
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Computer Science, Information Systems or related major or comparable education and work experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of software technical support experience.
- Minimum of two (2), but preferably 3+ years supervisory and/or management experience leading a technical support team at a Software-as-a-Service company
- Strong working knowledge of relational database management software such as MS SQL
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with workforce management software applications or other similar systems preferred
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to break a problem down into component parts, solve each individually, and synthesize an end-to-end solution
- Must have a good understanding of a “service business” in a high tech environment, from a supplier, integrator or operator’s point of view
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof-reading and speaking - ability to effectively communicate technical and non-technical information
- Excellent interpersonal skills including patience, flexibility, consideration, discretion, tact, confidence and effectiveness in dealing with people
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize, schedule and organize work and perform under tight deadlines with on-going changes in priorities
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Achievement oriented - ability to achieve results in a fast-paced team environment where coordination of efforts and communication is critical
- Ability to take an active role with our client base, e.g., must be comfortable in speaking with technically fluent administrators in major industries and able to identify and gather information required for troubleshooting
- Experience with Human Resources, Time & Attendance, and Scheduling is a plus