PLEA Community Services is currently seeking an Excluded Full-Time Accounting Assistant (Co-op) for our Finance team in Vancouver, BC. This Co-op position will start in May for the 2021 Summer semester and is available for an 8 month co-op work term. This position is excluded from BCGEU membership.
The Accounting Assistant (Co-op) is responsible for supporting the Finance team in
completing accounts payable and receivable responsibilities, and to assist with
audit preparation, financial reporting, and data entry as required.
Please submit a resume and cover letter referencing the competition number 2021011ACA1. Closing date for Internal Application: Friday, March 19, 2021 at 4:30PM. If the position is not filled internally, it will remain open until filled.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with the completion of the accounts payable responsibilities, such as processing accounts payables, paying vendors within the agreed period, and following up to resolve discrepancies with suppliers.
- Supports the processing of monthly accounts receivables transactions including invoicing, invoice adjustments, bill backs, credit card payments, receipts, refunds and collections. Codes, enters, and applies invoices, refunds, payments and bank deposits into the accounting software.
- Tracks revenue and client information associated with funding contracts and completes monthly billing, payment, and deposit reconciliations in conjunction with other members of the Finance team.
- Assists members of the Finance team with the year-end audit preparation. Maintains accounting records for audit. Provides documents to auditors during audit field testing.
- Enters data, files documents, and completes ad hoc reporting (for PLEA and business entities) as assigned. Organizes the retrieval and control of records as required.
- Ensures that all records, reports, and documentation pertaining to financial management are accurate, complete, safely stored and in compliance with PLEA's policies and procedures.
- Provides occasional backfill coverage for reception as a member of the Administration team.
- Protects and upholds confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate professionally with agency staff and the public.
- Effective organization and time management skills, including the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Effective problem-solving and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, make sound decisions and be held accountable for results.
- Demonstrated ability to be sensitive and understanding of individuals' social realities including issues of race, culture, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, poverty and lifestyle.
- Enrollment in a post-secondary accounting program.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, and web-based conferencing tools.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Clearance.
- The usual hours of work in this position are Monday to Friday from 8:30AM to 4:30PM, based on 37.5 working hours per week.
- Documentation that the applicant is legally approved to work in Canada.
Note: PLEA conducts primary source verification of applicant's credentials including education, training, work history, and licensure.