US Lacrosse, the national governing body of lacrosse, announces an opening for a mid-experienced Manager of Communications and Publicity, working as part of the Marketing and Communications Team. The successful candidate is self-motivated, proactive, creative and with strong communication skills. We are looking for an individual that embodies “The USL Way” by positively influencing the sport and each other, providing outstanding service, being creative and innovative, practicing purposeful collaboration, being humble and honest and having fun! If you believe you can bring your own unique spirit, then US Lacrosse is the place to be.
ABOUT US LACROSSE:
US Lacrosse, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, is the national governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse and the home of the nation’s fastest-growing team sport. US Lacrosse coordinates all activities of the U.S. National Teams Program and has nearly 450,000 members across the country. Through responsive and effective leadership, US Lacrosse provides programs and services to inspire participation while protecting the integrity of the sport.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All applicants must submit a brief cover letter, resume and minimum salary requirements to be considered for the position directly via gethired.com to ensure completion of application even if applying through another site. Relocation expenses are generally not included for USL job openings.
The Communications & Publicity Manager is responsible for leading the organization’s publicity efforts and supporting the Director, Content & Communications in the creation, execution, and administration of public relations plans for all USL initiatives and activities. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to generate and execute creative publicity plans, aggressively pitch media outlets for coverage and promotion of events; cultivate media contacts/relationships and write with search engine optimization for digital applications (press releases, website, e-marketing, social media). The ideal candidate will also have expert knowledge of AP Style.
Expected Hours of Work:
US Lacrosse core business hours are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturday. This position is generally expected to work 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday - Friday and occasionally requires longer hours or weekend work as related to events and other business needs.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel will be expected for select events.
Lacrosse experience is not required for this position. Knowledge of the lacrosse industry (participation or prior job) is preferable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Should you need an accommodation due to a disability, please contact the Human Resources department.
- Help manage efforts to generate publicity for USL’s mission to promote and develop the growth of lacrosse (i.e., stories of increased access points for play, highlight positive industry news, promote key points to key target audiences). Major initiatives include Trylax, sport growth, and all major youth lacrosse programs that support membership
- Develop unique story ideas and key message points to generate national stories for print, television and other digital media outlets to increase positive sentiment for USL
- Create/write publicity materials for all USL Mission related content
- Expand and cultivate national and local media contacts (print, broadcast, digital) for story placement on USL initiatives
- Interact on a daily basis with internal Regional Managers/Directors to properly publicize their efforts throughout the country and assist them in reaching their goals
- Work with the Marketing team to maximize exposure of community lacrosse efforts through in-house vehicles
- Liaison with other internal groups to support newsworthy activity (partnerships, marketing campaigns, fundraising events, other events) and manage any external PR firms to maximize placement stories throughout the year
- Script strategic communications plan for selected lacrosse programs
- Serve as the lead publicist for all programming and be the department voice in all internal meetings
- Develop a strong relationship with the entire Marketing & Communications team to ensure integrated communications program is put in place
- Emphasize the health & social benefits of the game for children and families
- Manage all public relations aspects and strategies for USL Headquarters and U.S. National Teams, including publicity for U.S. Team players
- Manage event coordination and publicity for major events (USL Convention, etc.) and competitions
- Incorporate multicultural outreach to African-American, Hispanic, and other underrepresented populations
- Unearth local unsung member stories with assistance from broader staff
- Review/assist with approvals of any media credentials
- Write effectively and efficiently on deadline, interview newsmakers and proofread/edit press releases and other forms of written communications when necessary
Core Values & Competencies:
- We Influence – Written and Verbal Communication
- We Serve - Customer Focused
- We Create & Innovate - Creativity
- We Collaborate – Peer Relationships
- We are Humble & Honest – Integrity and Trust
- We Embrace Individuality – Diversity
- We Have Fun - Humor
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Required Education and Experience:
- Candidate should have five (5) years of experience in a public/media relations field
- Strong writing skills, ability to develop story angles, experience in pitching stories and a history of success in placement of stories
- Strong local and national media contacts a plus
- Strong organizational skills with the capability to multi-task on projects
- Knowledge of sports and the lacrosse industry
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or public relations
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee:
- Occasionally works in outside weather conditions, including occasional extreme temperatures
- Lifts and moves boxes, supplies and equipment up to 20-30lbs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
US Lacrosse Inc is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled