Waterfront Rescue Mission
Director of Recovery Programs
X Full-Time Part-Time Temporary
Under the direction of the Director of Recovery Programs, this position provides holistic, biblically centered counseling designed to address root causes underlying the life dominating issues of our clients. Primary duties will include carrying a counseling case load, being able to lead and facilitate process groups as well as teach Bible and recovery-oriented classes. This position will also work to provide various support services to residents in order facilitate their discipleship recovery process. The recovery counselor will provide interpersonal instruction in helping clients develop new healthy coping mechanisms and the life skills needed to successfully transition into a life free from life dominating issues. This position operates on a dynamic team of dedicated Christian recovery counselors who work closely together to support our clients through all phases of the recovery program. Also performs all reasonably related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Christian Commitment: Must exemplify and model Christian behaviors and values as well as possess the high level of ethics, honesty, and character as detailed in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9.
Education/Experience: Master’s degree from college or university in related field; or five to 10 years related experience and/or training, along with a bachelor’s degree in related field from college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have knowledge and experience to research and present Christian material nondenominationally. Must be an effective presenter of scripture. Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable by the WRM’s insurance carrier. Must be able to pass Waterfront’s customary Background Clearance for the purposes of being able to gain access and enter data into the designated case management system.
Soft Competencies, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrates the Mission Statement and Core Values of the Mission in all job functions and day to day activities.
• Supports the organizational goals of the Mission.
• Always maintains a professional and positive attitude during day-to-day Mission activities. Strives to provide a positive cultural environment for co-workers, clients, and customers.
• Practices stewardship by taking ownership of one’s duties and responsibilities and does not waste or destroy Mission assets and/or properties.
• Exemplifies teamwork and the ability to always work well with others. Must have the ability to form effective working relationships with supervisors, subordinates, other staff members, and the public.
• Exemplifies motivation to perform at his/her very best every day and puts forth an effort to motivate others to be at their very best.
• Demonstrates a high level of reflective listening skills and must be skilled in asking thoughtful, appropriate and relevant questions to draw out a healthy understanding of root issues in the client.
• Demonstrates good communication and interpersonal skills and can effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• Exemplifies safety mindfulness during all Mission related activities by always utilizing and/or wearing all required safety equipment, always looking for ways to improve organizational safety, and ways to avoid accidents and/or injuries.
• Demonstrates the ability to manage conflict in a constructive manner. Has the ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
• Ability to read and comprehend general instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Has the ability to write general correspondence.
• Demonstrates commitment to co-workers, customers, clients, and the Mission by maintaining regular job attendance and punctuality.
• Always exemplifies a neat, clean, and professional appearance and hygiene.
• Demonstrates the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of Mission business affairs and operations.
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of computer operations and software.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Evaluates, assesses, and works together with the client to develop a holistic plan for continued growth and development.
• Monitors progress, growth, and improved quality of life of client through frequent contact and/or meetings with client.
• Documents client’s progress in the form of case notes: weekly or when client meets with counselor.
• Works with the client to provide additional skills and/or resources as needed to empower each client regarding Christian character development (ex: financial planning and budgeting, healthy relationships, parenting, etc.)
• Counsels in accordance with the Christian, holistic viewpoint laid down by Waterfront, complying with assessments, techniques, and skills congruent with the agreed on best practices. Works collectively with counseling team to address root causes of destructive life patterns and/or problematic behavior.
• Provides Biblical counsel and guidance for the purpose of strengthening clients and their capability of living independent of a controlled environment or public assistance.
• Address labor market deficiencies/barriers and helps develop/monitor the vocational, college or employment transition plan.
• Facilitates and/or secures all outside services as needed (such as Vocational Rehabilitation, Remedial Education Programs, Work Internships, Vocational Training, College Training, etc.
• Communicates and coordinates the goals and needs of the client’s with community resources, individuals, professionals, instructors, mentors, tutors, facilities, services and/or activities. Irregular intervals as needed.
• Ensures (in partnership with the agencies and/or services) strategies for assisting clients by embracing their holistic plan, engaging in their individualized plan, and where possible, continuing to monitor their aftercare plan.
• Seeks to ensure employment and living quarters are in a safe environment conducive for client’s holistic well-being for smooth independent transition.
• Encourages active church participation and involvement in a local church.
• Performs random drug screening as needed or requested by the Director.
• Serves as an advocate for the client where appropriate (legal, medical, financial, health, etc.)
• Acts as a mediator during times of conflict and crisis.
• Serves as Client liaison/advocate when necessary.
• Develops and edits operational procedures, processes, and strategies.
• Some travel may be necessary for training & temporary duty.
• Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or other Mission management.
The computer skills described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Intermediate computers skills are required for this position, which include aptitude in the use of the Internet, e-mail, spreadsheets, and maintaining data bases through means of accurately and proficiently entering data.
• Must be knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft Office Suite & case management software; basic computer and typing skills a must.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to manipulate; talk and listen. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.