Medical Interpreter - English/Spanish
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, interprets either over the phone or in person for medical staff and for limited English proficiently patients and their families requiring language assistance. Accurately interprets both the content and the spirit of the communication without adding, omitting, editing, or changing the information. Interpreters will seek clarification as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interpret between source and target language (Spanish) for clinics and medical facilities.
- Ability to work in a variety of medical specialties with knowledge of specialized medical terminology.
- Follow policies & procedures including the ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Assists with patient follow-up as necessary, to include contacting patients with appointment reminders.
- Assists with translating patient education information as specifically requested.
- Establishes and maintains quality service and positive interaction with all patients, customers, visitors, health care providers, and clinical employees.
- Maintain professionalism through appearance, attitude, and posture.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School or GED Diploma required.
1 year of interpreting experience in a medical/clinical setting preferred.
Documented fluency in English and target language(Spanish).
Experience with medical terminology in English and target language(Spanish).
National Certification (NBCMI or CCHI) or ability to obtain with in first six months of hire.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Good problem-solving abilities.
Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
Critical thinking skills and a “teamwork mind-set”.
Excellent Customer Service to recipients of all cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
Proven understanding and acceptance of the NCIHC Interpreter Code of Ethics and NCIHC Standards of Practice.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $17.50 per hour