Do you thrive on helping others reach their fitness goals and whole person health? Are you inclusive and supportive in your quest to build a healthier community? If this sounds like you, we would love to hear your story!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is looking for fitness enthusiasts to join our team as Volunteer Weight Floor Cleaners for the John W. Lindsay YMCA.
What We Do
Rooted in our core values of Caring, Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, and Inclusiveness, since 1853 the YMCA has connected Nova Scotians to life-enhancing opportunities. As a non-profit charity, we provide vital services, such as Health, Employment, Childcare/ Camps, Immigrant Services, and Youth Development.
The John W. Lindsay YMCA, scheduled to open its doors in October 2020, is a 70,000 sf. Health, fitness, and aquatic facility projecting to serve between 6500-8000 members annually. Facility amenities include: 12,000 sf. of conditioning space, 4 exercise studios, indoor walking track, natatorium consisting of a 6 lane-25 m pool, hydrotherapy & teaching pool with a moveable floor, community meeting room, and a child & family centre.
How You Can Help
As a volunteer weight floor cleaner, you are responsible for ensuring quality health and wellness assistance to enhance members' experiences at our YMCA. This position requires a positive, inclusive, safe, and values-based attitude to create a welcoming environment. This role focuses on relationship building on an individual and community scale.
Specifically you will:
- Be responsible for on-the-floor instruction regarding the fitness equipment, individual assistance and questions/concerns brought forth from members in regards to the facility programming and services
- Ensure rule adherence is met by all participants to the facility/weight room, to ensure we are in keeping with our core values and mandates at the YMCA
- Foster a welcoming, positive environment to ensure members and participants learn and grow in a safe atmosphere
As a volunteer with our YMCA, you will become a member of a dedicated network of individuals who are passionate about providing holistic support to the communities in which we serve. In addition you will receive an individual membership to our new facility, to provide our volunteers with more work-life balance options.
As a volunteer, you bring:
- Experience in customer service is an asset
- Valid Standard First Aid/CPR Level C is an asset
- Fitness/Personal Training Certification is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bilingual in French, Arabic, etc. an asset
- Strong relationship building skills including tact, diplomacy, and ability to establish rapport with client
- Flexibility to work irregular hours required
Note: Successful volunteer candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and proof of valid First Aid and CPR training.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us, we look forward to reviewing your application!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier-free. If you require accommodation during the application process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. We encourage all applicants to self-identify.